What's new

Surface Book Pen - New Functionality

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Book pen has these functions:

1 - Click the eraser button to take a screen shot via OneNote
2 - Write with the pen nub. Pressure sensitivity greatly improved over Surface Pro 3 pen
3 - Erase by turning the pen around and touching the eraser on the screen. No button pressing necessary.
4 - Hold the eraser button for more than 1 second to open Cortana's search window, rather than speaking, "Hey Cortana". Better in public places.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand this whole erasor thing. Before I could just move my thumb a fraction and start erasing, now I've got to turn the pen around, erase, and turn around again. Seems utterly counter productive to me.

The rest of those features are gimmicks to me. I'll use the snipping tool over importing to one ite any day.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, at least the eraser end works as a button and text selector (same as how the nub end works) when not writing. That does feel natural.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
In what way does it feel natural? I'm curious, as there is nothing natural about it.

What is the accuracy of the erasor out of curiosity? Seems like surely you would be much less intricate with it than being able to use a fine pen nib and see exactly where you are erasing.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... Natural for buttons. As in pushing calculator, point-of-purchase, photo selection, etc. buttons with a pencil eraser. I'm sure you've seen that.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
... Natural for buttons. As in pushing calculator, point-of-purchase, photo selection, etc. buttons with a pencil eraser. I'm sure you've seen that.

I recall the whole calculator thing when in school and tried it. Seemed silly. I have fingers that are far more accurate and efficient.

But hey, if it works for people then great. Personally i have never even used the top button on the pen. Just a gimmick.

MrRedHat

Speaking of OneNote and clicking the eraser, has anyone figured out how to get OneNote from Office to start automatically instead of the desktop version? I was able to do it with a registry hack and it mostly works, but when I double click the eraser it takes a screenshot, but doesn’t automatically put it into OneNote for me.

Nonseven

Speaking of OneNote and clicking the eraser, has anyone figured out how to get OneNote from Office to start automatically instead of the desktop version? I was able to do it with a registry hack and it mostly works, but when I double click the eraser it takes a screenshot, but doesn’t automatically put it into OneNote for me.
I read somewhere in a Microsoft support forum that they were working on making that functionality come back again, but that it wasn't there yet. Expect it in a future update.

AndyWear

The eraser is dumb to me. I don't care to flip around and erase, it takes too much time for me. I miss the button rocker on the pen though. The current button is awkward as hell to press and....hard to open up the brush menu.

ScottyS

The eraser is dumb to me. I don't care to flip around and erase, it takes too much time for me. I miss the button rocker on the pen though. The current button is awkward as hell to press and....hard to open up the brush menu.
I liked flipping the pen around and erasing like a pencil when I had the SP1. On the SP3 my finger keeps slipping off the button halfway through erasing and it starts scribbling. I will probably get the SP4 pen for my SP3 just for that feature. So I guess that's why you can't please all of the people all of the time.

AndyWear

You really can't please everyone. Everyone has a preference. I come from Wacom Intuos Pen workflow so I'm very use to it. I use to like flipping the pen for erasing, but adapted to using quicker ways to erase so now I prefer it. It would nice to have make a few pens for selection.