What's new

Surface Car mount?

r0b123

I've been considering mounting my SP3 since I bought an external GPS for navigation. I highly recommend Ram Mounts especially their X-Grip line which I have for my cell phone on my motorcycle and car http://rammount.com/products/xgrip

It is pricey but what you get is a trusted name brand and highly customizable options if you add accessories or options later.

OP
C

C.O

Sweet! Looks stronger than the Arkon one, I'd love to have the one that mounts from the seat because my Impreza's windshield is small as it is and I already have a dashcam setup. Thanks for the share!!

EpilEpic

I would like a mount for my car as well, so I can use it as gps and media player while driving to Italy this summer.
But apart from the car mount, I was wondering how I am able to use it as GPS?

- what software is available for windows?
- what are good USB-GPS modules?

EpilEpic

Thank you for these links guys, I will look further into the GPS-subject first.
and sry for Hijacking ur thread C.O.

OP
C

C.O

I would like a mount for my car as well, so I can use it as gps and media player while driving to Italy this summer.
But apart from the car mount, I was wondering how I am able to use it as GPS?

- what software is available for windows?
- what are good USB-GPS modules?

Here's the GPS module I'm using, thanks to @sharpcolorado I believe recommended this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R1OO1W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A110MBRL8XO94E

I just use the Maps software part of Win10.

The BT-Q818XT is an excellent and reliable device.
View the manual here, with Windows screenshots.

Thank you for these links guys, I will look further into the GPS-subject first.
and sry for Hijacking ur thread C.O.

No problem! I like learning new things, this is definitely relevant to the topic and many users around the world would definitely find this information useful or applicable to them!

This was cool when the kickstarter was up but I never purchased.

I don't know about spending $120 for one though.

http://www.amazon.com/TabletTail-Mo...954&sr=8-1&keywords=monkey+tail+tablet+holder

Yeah I definitely can't justify the price for that just yet; for now I just want to use it as a media player. Because my island is small I won't need it for GPS. I have been looking for software similar to Torque for Android and connect an OBD2 Bluetooth unit so I can monitor my cars MPG, Temp, and other car-enthusiast specifics. I posted this same topic over on Reddit.com/r/surface but two out of the 3 replies were like "OMG ISNT THAT UNSAFE, MONITORING YOUR TABLET WHILE DRIVING, OMG YOU GNNA LEAVE YOUR TABLET IN THE CAR ITS LIKE $1000" lol. oh well.

buckemdwn

i went and mounted the dock into my dash with power to an inverter best soultion out there to me...pic is of a surface 1 but i now have a 3 w dock installed...

Attachments

• 20140821_000222_resized.jpg
    20140821_000222_resized.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 1,715
  • 20150126_134636_resized.jpg
    20150126_134636_resized.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 1,612

m0v1em4n

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but as you guys were talk GPS thought this question might be appropriate

How are you using your GPS devices, I have just paired my BT GPS , but in device it is showing as not connected, in fact most of the stuff in the device/Bluetooth is showing as not connected. ( windows phone even the pen is showing as not connected)
Do you have to tell Microsoft Maps to use the GPS or does it just use it, I have tried switching my internet connection off but maps can't find my location which I presume is because its not able to use the GPS

Last edited: