What's new

Surface Case Reviews

trippma

Long time reader, first time poster - thanks to all of you that have been sharing your knowledge.

I've been looking for 'just the right bag' since my pre-order of the RT.

I used this for a long time with decent results: Amazon.com: CaseCrown Horizontal Mobile Messenger Bag (Black) for Microsoft Surface / Microsoft Surface Pro: Computers & Accessories

Pros: Good fit (Surface or SPro with or without covers), holds all your required accessories, very well padded.

Cons: the fabric is very slippery, no top handle, the only carry option is the unpadded shoulder strap. Not quite as versatile as I'd like.

Overall all a well made bag, but not the perfect bag for me.

Recently a friend recommended this: Amazon.com Mountainsmith Messenger Bag-Recycled

So far this is the bag I've been looking for. I won't bore you with the details here (full review is posted on Amazon) but if you're looking for a small, flexible messenger bag then you should check this one out.

codeulike

Here's one you may not have seen before, I found it on Etsy, and its awesome.

qvvWFQw.jpg

nf3mwrv.jpg

RQsBnzd.jpg

(Bigger pic here http://i.imgur.com/dpYJ5nb.jpg )

It is made from recycled coats, hence the unique tweedy look with buttons.
The coat pocket on the front is perfect for the stylus.
There is a large pocket on the back that can take the power supply.

$40 + postage from SewMuchStyle on Etsy
Netbook Case Eco Friendly Recycled Suit Coats by SewMuchStyle

Its advertised an an 11" by 8" netbook case, however I asked them to make mine a little narrower for the 11" by 7" Surface Pro and the one they made for me fits the Pro perfectly.

tiggerfl

I just purchased a Surface RT tablet on Black Friday to replace the buggy Android tablets I have gone thru over the past 1.5 yrs. I had purchased a Leather portfolio with integrated USB keyboard from a regular EBAY seller I have been buying items from for a long time. It has a far better feel than the Surface keypad, because I appreciate the tactile feedback. An added bonus is the fact that having no Bluetooth and worrying about batteries is a huge plus.

This model has a magnetic closure, steel supports to hold 3 of the 4 sides of the tablet, and will fit any 10.6" Surface model. The only thing that is missing is the ability to store anything. I took a 64GB USB stick, applied velcro to it and mounted it next to the spine of the portfolio. It stays in place when the folio is closed and rests at the bottom of the tablet tucked away.

Total COST:
$17.99 for the folio with Keyboard
$12.99 for 64GB SanDisk USB drive
$.50 for package of velcro

Leather Portfolio with integrated USB keyboard

CrippsCorner

Here's one you may not have seen before, I found it on Etsy, and its awesome.

qvvWFQw.jpg

nf3mwrv.jpg

RQsBnzd.jpg

(Bigger pic here http://i.imgur.com/dpYJ5nb.jpg )

It is made from recycled coats, hence the unique tweedy look with buttons.
The coat pocket on the front is perfect for the stylus.
There is a large pocket on the back that can take the power supply.

$40 + postage from SewMuchStyle on Etsy
Netbook Case Eco Friendly Recycled Suit Coats by SewMuchStyle

Its advertised an an 11" by 8" netbook case, however I asked them to make mine a little narrower for the 11" by 7" Surface Pro and the one they made for me fits the Pro perfectly.

That's pretty cool! Unique... the fact they made it a custom size is good too, did you have to pay any extra for that?

spotco2

I bought a couple of generic covers and never found one that really fit. My wife bought a KaysCase from Amazon or Ebay for her Pro 2 and has really enjoyed it. I stopped in a Microsoft store a few weeks ago and picked up a Maroo for my RT and it's been everything I was looking for. I think it was around $60, but it fits properly and has several different standing positions that work very well for using it on a desk top or in my lap.

beq

Attachment 1205

So I have this case. It is a very nice, classy looking case (though it is vinyl, not genuine leather). It doesn't make the fact that it's a tablet very obvious, especially since the Surface and case are larger than most tablets. The interior microfiber is very nice. However, I don't like getting the tablet out of it. You either put it in bottom down, and then to grab it out there's a small cutout where the cameras are. So you're grabbing it in the camera area. Or, you put it bottom down, and you're grabbing it by the Surface logo. I don't want to wear off the logo, and I don't particularly like grabbing it by the camera area.
Just wondering, is that the Snugg leather sleeve? I'm also looking for good cases for our SP2's.

I tried the Incipio nylon sleeves (which had seemed ubiquitous at the Microsoft Store, until they were marked down to under $15 and now seems to be gone).

But Amazon reviewers claim that the Incipio, and indeed many other sleeves, are too tight for the SP2:

- no space for the power adapter (unless you force the power brick and cables in, forming a stretched-out bulge)
- no space to leave the pen docked to the SP2
- no safety margin for the SP2 with Type Cover (easy for the cover to get bent edges/corners or caught by the zipper)

Is it the same story with the Snugg? Can anyone recommend a good case that has more space for accessories, yet is still compact?

I'm now ordering the Kensington neoprene sleeves since a) it has a carrying handle, and b) hopefully the neoprene can more easily stretch to accomodate the power supply?

I also got the Incipio feather snap-on covers, but they don't fit the Docking Station and have other problems...

beq

I used this for a long time with decent results: Amazon.com: CaseCrown Horizontal Mobile Messenger Bag (Black) for Microsoft Surface / Microsoft Surface Pro: Computers & Accessories

Pros: Good fit (Surface or SPro with or without covers), holds all your required accessories, very well padded.

Cons: the fabric is very slippery, no top handle, the only carry option is the unpadded shoulder strap. Not quite as versatile as I'd like.

Overall all a well made bag, but not the perfect bag for me.
Thank you, that looks like a good bag for the SP2 (as an alternative to a sleeve plus a separate bag). From this YouTube video, it looks to carry a lot of Surface accessories, but still relatively compact?

Is the horizontal style bigger overall than the vertical style, or same volume? Just comparing the style, and black vs brown color...

It's apparently been discontinued but still available on Amazon for now (though the price might have been raised?). I did find a lot of other compact bags for 11" laptops or tablets on Amazon, so I guess there are choices...

In fact this CaseCrown bag itself is offered under many different listings, including this, this, and all of these.

What's more, its sister brand Duzign (both brands seem to be subsidiaries or affiliates of Senyx) also has the same horizontal/vertical messenger bags for tablets, with minor differences (light blue interior instead of bright orange, different stitching patterns, no keychain, etc). See this or all of these. Duzign also has two other tablet messenger bag styles that look interesting -- these and these.

Then again, I may try something cheaper first...

Tsurugaya

I'm looking for a case that will hold the Surface, charger, Wedge keyboard, Wedge mouse, stylus and some USB memory sticks and my Note III phone.
Does this beast exist?

T

TheConstruct

I'm looking for a case that will hold the Surface, charger, Wedge keyboard, Wedge mouse, stylus and some USB memory sticks and my Note III phone.
Does this beast exist?

What style of case are you looking for?