What's new

Surface Case Reviews

zan

Hey all great stuff! Just picked up my Surface Pro today.

I picked up a rooCASE for my Nook Color a couple of years ago and it was great.

Thinking about springing for this one:
Amazon.com: rooCASE Super Bubble Neoprene Sleeve Case Cover for Apple MacBook Air 11.6-inch Laptop MC505LL/A MC506LL/A MC968LL/A MC969LL/A (Black / Neon Green): Computers & Accessories

61wpPIQCrFL._SL1500_.jpg
31jt8zAzptL.jpg

paesan

I ordered that case the other day. It is scheduled to be delivered today. I was supposed to get it the other day but Amazon sent me the wrong case (Ativ Pro), very disappointed when I opened the package to say the least. Anyway, I have been waiting for a case like this that has the strap on the back.

STLPilot

This one looks great ... but where is the black trim on black ... or at least grey trim on black? some of us are professional users. :LOL:

tonyz3

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I love Mich case above but still prefer the sleek look of a skin at the most. I do use the free sleeve MS gave me with the bundle as well as a messenger bag when out on the road with it, but 90% of the time I carry it with just the Sticker boy skin. http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...urface-casing-possible-fixes-2.html#post19880 and I can't believe the skin on the felt type cover is still perfectly on for 2 months. SB has always provided great quality. no complaints... but the case option above are nice.

STLPilot

The ThinkTank case, the Artificial Intelligence 13, arrived today.

artificial-intelligence-13-computer-sleeve

For me, it's perfect. It's small, and designed to be carried vertically, which I think is cool. It has both a carrying handle and adjustable shoulder strap.

The Surface Pro with Type Cover slides right in. It is snug front to back, a perfect fit. Side to side, though, it has some extra room. You will find that as it sits in the case, there's about 1" of play on either side, and if it's snug against the bottom, you'll find about 3" of play at the top, below the zipper. So, it's not flush. But as I said, it's tight, like a clam, front to back. And - it sure slides in and out easier than the HP I was using.

(Photos will follow)

Also, there's a massive, expandable front pocket, with multiple smaller compartments.

And - the Holy Grail - there's a slot for the stylus. Yes, a slot for the stylus.

Also, one of the pockets fits the Wedge Mouse *perfectly.*

And besides that, the AC adapter, the already mentioned Stylus and Wedge Mouse, a big set of keys, my Galaxy Note 2, my LG USB 4G LTE modem, and sunglasses - all fit easily inside. Back pocket too, for papers and boarding passes.

So if I'm heading out in the world, I'm 100% geared up, with every conceivable accessory, in a small, cool case.

Protection? Better than the HP I was using, because the case is semi-solid...not just soft.

My search is over. Forty bucks, including shipping.

I use ThinkTank for my $3000 Nikon D800, and my arsenal of lenses that cost much more than that. As of this writing, I own 12 ThinkTank camera bags. Plus, bigger versions of this bag, for my mongo 17" laptops. And now? I am so happy to have their product wrapping my Surface Pro, and every accessory I own.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm in NYC and always on the move. You're right, vertical is MUCH better than horizontal for day travelling because the more narrow center of gravity will help balance it on your shoulder. After about 10 trial bags ... this is EXACTLY what I wanted. You d'man!

Last edited:

Ciege

This one looks great ... but where is the black trim on black ... or at least grey trim on black? some of us are professional users. :LOL:

That's quite odd! I ordered the black/black case and that's the one I have now. I wonder if they sold out of black/black???

ProSurfer

Moko case cover for SP works great!

This is mine too and I love it. It's 2 covers in one and can be used either or. The first configuration which is lighter in weight allows the SP to be used purely as a tablet by holding it in your hand securely with the fat rubber band in the back. If this is not enough, this light configuration also includes a foldable stand (it is magnetized too to hold it in its closed position when not in used and when folded open, it actually opens wider than the original SP kickstand allowing a better viewing angle in my opinion). There is room to attach a type cover and you can use the SP as a regular laptop. When closing the type cover, the thin rubber band can be wrapped around it against the SP to prevent it from flapping during transport.

In the second configuration which is bulkier, you can attach the outside cover to this first configuration to provide a complete protection of the SP with or without the type cover. This also allows the Portrait orientation with that snap button. Most cover cases in the market offers just this configuration without the orientation feature. You also get to change the viewing angle within a wider range.

I did not care much about the ability to orient from portrait to landscape, it is also missing a pen holder (which can be bought from a 3rd party and taped to the case if so desired). For me what sold me is that the basic leather skin around the SP provides good hand grip, and excellent protection against wear and mishandling in the pure 'tablet" mode (first configuration) and has plenty of ventilation all around the tablet. They provided 10 small holes on the top side of the SP (that could not be seen on the advertised product pictures on Amazon, but I was pleasantly surprised to seem them) and they have minimized the area of overlap in the other 3 sides and 4 corners (those corners are actually not blocked by the leather at all), without compromising the stability of the tablet inside this leather frame. Except for the stylus, all the ports are accessible including the power magsafe. This is a well thought cover. Kudos to Moko!

Best

paesan

Camera%20Uploads
This is mine too and I love it. It's 2 covers in one and can be used either or. The first configuration which is lighter in weight allows the SP to be used purely as a tablet by holding it in your hand securely with the fat rubber band in the back. If this is not enough, this light configuration also includes a foldable stand (it is magnetized too to hold it in its closed position when not in used and when folded open, it actually opens wider than the original SP kickstand allowing a better viewing angle in my opinion). There is room to attach a type cover and you can use the SP as a regular laptop. When closing the type cover, the thin rubber band can be wrapped around it against the SP to prevent it from flapping during transport.

In the second configuration which is bulkier, you can attach the outside cover to this first configuration to provide a complete protection of the SP with or without the type cover. This also allows the Portrait orientation with that snap button. Most cover cases in the market offers just this configuration without the orientation feature. You also get to change the viewing angle within a wider range.

I did not care much about the ability to orient from portrait to landscape, it is also missing a pen holder (which can be bought from a 3rd party and taped to the case if so desired). For me what sold me is that the basic leather skin around the SP provides good hand grip, and excellent protection against wear and mishandling in the pure 'tablet" mode (first configuration) and has plenty of ventilation all around the tablet. They provided 10 small holes on the top side of the SP (that could not be seen on the advertised product pictures on Amazon, but I was pleasantly surprised to seem them) and they have minimized the area of overlap in the other 3 sides and 4 corners (those corners are actually not blocked by the leather at all), without compromising the stability of the tablet inside this leather frame. Except for the stylus, all the ports are accessible including the power magsafe. This is a well thought cover. Kudos to Moko!

Best

I just got this case yesterday and have to say it has almost everything that I have been looking for (no pen holder). It does have the most important feature that I needed which is the ability to hold the tablet in one hand securely. The back strap works extremely well in doing this. I can now use the SP in the field without fear of dropping it while using the stylus. Anyone that is looking for this feature will love this case. The cutouts match well but it is kind of difficult getting the charger magnet connected.
Update:
Lol, the reason why I had difficulty connecting the charger was due to putting the SP upside down in the case. Anyhow, the case is exactly what I was looking for and I found a good way (for me at least) to store the pen. I slide it in between the case and the SP on the right side. Works well. I tried to upload a picture of it but no go even in compatibility mode for IE10. I am not going to install another browser just to upload a photo.

Last edited:

rubaxter

Any info on what the effect of covering the back of a Surface Pro with a nice, plush, microfiber thermal insulation layer might be?

Seems to me that a lot of heat is dissipated through that surface on the Pro, and most of the fold-type cover seem to shield this area not only from occasional impact damage, but ALSO from the ability to cool the innards through convection, etc.

I could see a fold case with a checkerboard series of holes, but nobody has mentioned anything about this.

I'm especially interested if this would have any effect on the long-term reliability of unit, if not that the Surface will burst into flames in an acute failure.