What's new

Surface changes the clock time

girarcat

Hi all!
My SP2 has just changed the time of the clock all alone. Now it's 23:06 and it's showing 18:40. The same happened last week. I just corrected the time manually, and problem solved, for some days at least, but it's quite weird, isn't it? Has anyone had the same issue?

I cannot understand why the SP2 have so many minor issues! I have to reboot it twice a day to solve stupid problems, such as trackpad not working all of a sudden, or the keyboard, or the stylus, or the Wifi, BT, Battery indicator...
I don't think all these issues are related to the faulty firmware... well, we will know it if MS eventually realeases a fix tomorrow.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Verify you have the correct Time Zone selected and correct Internet Time Server selected. This can be done by clicking on the Clock on the Desktop and selecting "Change Date and Time Settings" and selecting Change time zone and for Internet Time, select the Internet Time Tab and Change Settings and run through the list and selecting one that works for your region.

Rvacha

I had this problem for the first time last week. In my case I had run the SP2 down to dead battery (not SP power management "dead" but actual hardware dead) and when I restarted it the clock was off almost an entire day - like off by 20 hours and 17 minutes. The time zone was correct. I decided not to manually ask it to get network time to see how long it would take to correct itself. It didn't, until I rebooted

I had this problem for the first time last week. In my case I had run the SP2 down to dead battery (not SP power management "dead" but actual hardware dead) and when I restarted it the clock was off almost an entire day - like off by 20 hours and 17 minutes. The time zone was correct. I decided not to manually ask it to get network time to see how long it would take to correct itself. It didn't, until I rebooted

I had this same issue, noticed some errors in the event viewer where it couldn't find the default Microsoft internet time server; switched it to one of the government ones and haven't had the issue since

OP
G

girarcat

Verify you have the correct Time Zone selected and correct Internet Time Server selected. This can be done by clicking on the Clock on the Desktop and selecting "Change Date and Time Settings" and selecting Change time zone and for Internet Time, select the Internet Time Tab and Change Settings and run through the list and selecting one that works for your region.

Thanks for the tip. The time zone is correct and the server I'm using is time.windows.com, so dunno what's wrong.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip. The time zone is correct and the server I'm using is time.windows.com, so dunno what's wrong.

Switch to another Time Server, a University or Government one and see if that fixes it, time.windows.com times out occasionally.