What's new

Nothing Works!

Just bought a brand new Surface Pro 3 from Curry's for £700. Couldn't wait for it to arrive, but now that it has I must say I'm underwhelmed. Firstly, as with so many Windows PCs, the damned Windows Update service doesn't work despite my trying all the usual stuff I've gleaned over the last 3-4 PCs so the thing is sitting there getting further and further out of date. Also, I couldn't connect to my work email via Outlook Web Access using the client supplied no matter what I tried (even though simply logging in via https on the Surface using the same credentials worked fine!). Eventually I got this working by creating a local account, deleting the mail account and re-creating it using the local account. So far this works but its just a kludge; only Microsoft could sell this crap to people.

Also, the Surface heats up dramatically at the top right hand side, so much so that its uncomfortable to have on your lap when using as a tablet. I've had this experience with the latest Lumina Windows phones as well which also heat up very noticeably and have lousy battery life; there is clearly an issue for Microsoft here in that they just can't match Apple for battery life and are cooking their devices while trying! Lastly (for now) the hinge at the back is sitting out noticeably after just a week of use, which is pretty disappointing. Overall I do regret this purchase, it really isn't what I was expected given all the hype over these devices, and I couldn't honestly recommend it to anybody. Buy a proper PC - for the same money you'll get a very decent machine which does what it's supposed to. Between the crappy hot phones and now the disappointing Surface that's it for me with MS; I'm going to sell the Surface and buy a MacBook Air.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just bought a brand new Surface Pro 3 from Curry's for £700. Couldn't wait for it to arrive, but now that it has I must say I'm underwhelmed. Firstly, as with so many Windows PCs, the damned Windows Update service doesn't work despite my trying all the usual stuff I've gleaned over the last 3-4 PCs so the thing is sitting there getting further and further out of date. Also, I couldn't connect to my work email via Outlook Web Access using the client supplied no matter what I tried (even though simply logging in via https on the Surface using the same credentials worked fine!). Eventually I got this working by creating a local account, deleting the mail account and re-creating it using the local account. So far this works but its just a kludge; only Microsoft could sell this crap to people.

Also, the Surface heats up dramatically at the top right hand side, so much so that its uncomfortable to have on your lap when using as a tablet. I've had this experience with the latest Lumina Windows phones as well which also heat up very noticeably and have lousy battery life; there is clearly an issue for Microsoft here in that they just can't match Apple for battery life and are cooking their devices while trying! Lastly (for now) the hinge at the back is sitting out noticeably after just a week of use, which is pretty disappointing. Overall I do regret this purchase, it really isn't what I was expected given all the hype over these devices, and I couldn't honestly recommend it to anybody. Buy a proper PC - for the same money you'll get a very decent machine which does what it's supposed to. Between the crappy hot phones and now the disappointing Surface that's it for me with MS; I'm going to sell the Surface and buy a MacBook Air.

Welcome to our enthusiasts forum... with that said, are you looking for help or just wanting to vent? I just want to know if you want potential solutions.

OP
N

Nothing Works!

Welcome to our enthusiasts forum... with that said, are you looking for help or just wanting to vent? I just want to know if you want potential solutions.

I'd obviously be keen to explore any potential solutions in relation to the complete failure of Windows Update to work on this brand new Surface. I've downloaded the trouble-shooter, tried the manual stopping of the update service and BITS, deleted the contents of SoftwareDistribution etc etc but nothing helps. This is such a common problem on all types of Windows PCs that Microsoft should be embarrassed to sell this stuff. I've gone through this so many times in recent years that it's just not funny, and I'm sure as with many others I haven't always been sure what exactly resolved the issue in the end. However the Surface is the most stubborn device I've encountered so far as this issue is concerned and I'm having no luck at all so any suggestions gratefully received.

leeshor

It sounds as if you got off to a really bad start. I support several hundred systems for a number of customers is various situation and that includes more than a dozen Surface Pro 3s and 4s and have not seen that issue with updates. Especially after what you did to try fixing it. Maybe you should, (if you haven't done a lot of software installs), try a full reset of Windows and start over. If that doesn't work get it exchanged.

OP
N

Nothing Works!

Hi, the first thing I did when I had these problems out of the box was to re-install Windows 10, as there is no personal data etc to lose so early on. I'm having exactly the same problems after the re-install (although I can at least now access work emails by creating a local account instead of signing in with my Microsoft account). The Windows Update problem is ubiquitous across all types of MS devices (I've had this issue with at least 4 PCs in the last 2 years) and I know many others who've had the same problem, and of course the web is just full of similar stories. There is clearly an issue here which MS should be addressing, rather than leaving it to individual users to scour the forums in the hope of assistance. I very much doubt that I could exchange the Surface now as the update thing is not a hardware fault, but thanks for replying anyway!

leeshor

I must respectfully disagree re the updating. I have dozens of Windows 10 systems doing their updates just as they should, none with any problems. If you know of so many that are having problems there must be an explanation and that would likely have something to do with another app that's installed. The only updating issue I've seen is a repeating failure of Defender updates and that usually corrects itself though it may take some time. Maybe you just have lots of bad luck.

3 older systems in my office, on Windows 10 have never had an issue with any updtes and they have been running Windows 1o since late January 2015. I still think you should consider an exchange.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, the first thing I did when I had these problems out of the box was to re-install Windows 10, as there is no personal data etc to lose so early on. I'm having exactly the same problems after the re-install (although I can at least now access work emails by creating a local account instead of signing in with my Microsoft account). The Windows Update problem is ubiquitous across all types of MS devices (I've had this issue with at least 4 PCs in the last 2 years) and I know many others who've had the same problem, and of course the web is just full of similar stories. There is clearly an issue here which MS should be addressing, rather than leaving it to individual users to scour the forums in the hope of assistance. I very much doubt that I could exchange the Surface now as the update thing is not a hardware fault, but thanks for replying anyway!
How did you reinstall Windows 10? Recovery Image or generic Windows 10 ISO? Are you aware of the Surface Update downloads? (Found here: Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center ) Also, does your internet on the Isle get treated like a metered connection? I ask because you are having this issue on 4 separate devices which is pretty rare.

ramiss

You should perform the reset, as suggested. Installing Windows 10 is not the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
N

Nothing Works!

Hi, I did perform the reset as well but no luck. However last night for no particular reason updates suddenly appeared and downloaded ok. This included Win 10 Pro updates, Defender updates and even a firmware update! All loaded absolutely fine and I'm bang up to date and happy, but still not sure what happened as I haven't tried to do anything else since the first set of problems. Weird. I ghuess the moral of this story is when you get a new Windows PC give it a week or so before throwing it out!

Orlbuckeye

I would go to a Microsoft or if your not near one go to the website. First make sure your device is registered and then goto a chat window with a MS tech. They will help you out alot.