What's new

Surface Dock and Ultra Wide Monitor

Randy Minder

I have a Surface book and a Surface Dock. I also have an LG Ultra Wide monitor and a second monitor. Am I correct that the HDMI cable I have connected to my Ultra Wide should connect to the Mini Display Port adapter and then the Mini Display Port Adapter connects to the dock? This is the way I have it connected now but I'm not having much luck getting things to work.

elbaz

I have a Surface book and a Surface Dock. I also have an LG Ultra Wide monitor and a second monitor. Am I correct that the HDMI cable I have connected to my Ultra Wide should connect to the Mini Display Port adapter and then the Mini Display Port connects to the dock? This is the way I have it connected now but I'm not having much luck getting things to work.

You need an HDMI to Mini-DisplayPort adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klonek

I've connected Surface Dock with LG 29UM67 with two miniDP->HDMI cables and set split screen (HDMI1+HDMI2). It was working over one cable either (2560x1080) but it's more affordabe for me now 2x (1280x1080)

Cimmerian

I had a buddy trying to hook an ultra-wide (2560x1080) up to his dock through HDMI and he couldn't get it to work. After trouble shooting for a couple hours I was about to give up when I made my way to the product page of the adapter he was using, it only supported up to 1920x1200.

As elbaz mentioned earlier, "Not all adapters are created equal.". After getting him to buy this new one: Amazon.com: Plugable Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (Supports displays up to 4k / UHD / 3840x2160@60Hz): Home Audio & Theater everything worked fine.

Sue Penick

I had a buddy trying to hook an ultra-wide (2560x1080) up to his dock through HDMI and he couldn't get it to work. After trouble shooting for a couple hours I was about to give up when I made my way to the product page of the adapter he was using, it only supported up to 1920x1200.

As elbaz mentioned earlier, "Not all adapters are created equal.". After getting him to buy this new one: Amazon.com: Plugable Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (Supports displays up to 4k / UHD / 3840x2160@60Hz): Home Audio & Theater everything worked fine.

Thank you for posting this. Since I received my Surface Book, I have had continuous display issues. I have connected 2 LG 34UC87M-B ultra wide curved monitors (and I also use the SB's display). I cannot use any software in full screen or parts of the display go black randomly. after that I have to reboot, disconnect then reconnect monitors to hope to use the screens. the main surface book screen also goes all black...you can keep working but it drives you crazy. I ordered a new docking station in case that was the issue, validated I was on the latest firmware for the dock and monitors, but to no avail. I am using the Surface Books adapters currently. I am hoping these new adapters that you recommended will work.

Cimmerian

Thank you for posting this. Since I received my Surface Book, I have had continuous display issues. I have connected 2 LG 34UC87M-B ultra wide curved monitors (and I also use the SB's display). I cannot use any software in full screen or parts of the display go black randomly. after that I have to reboot, disconnect then reconnect monitors to hope to use the screens. the main surface book screen also goes all black...you can keep working but it drives you crazy. I ordered a new docking station in case that was the issue, validated I was on the latest firmware for the dock and monitors, but to no avail. I am using the Surface Books adapters currently. I am hoping these new adapters that you recommended will work.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the LG 34UC87M-B has a display port connection on the back right? I highly suggest you use that as opposed to HDMI, display port is much more reliable and has a locking system. I personally use the Asus ROG PG348Q (Amazon.com: Asus ROG PG348Q 34-Inch Ultra-wide QHD Swift Curved Gaming Monitor: Electronics) which is a very similar monitor at 34 inches 3440x1440. This Mini DP to full DP V1.2 cable has worked perfectly from me: Amazon.com: Mini DP TO DP Cable,TechRise 6.56FT Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable Converter Adapter V1.2,4K Resolution Supportted -Male to Male: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

klonek

I've connected Surface Dock with LG 29UM67 with two miniDP->HDMI cables and set split screen (HDMI1+HDMI2). It was working over one cable either (2560x1080) but it's more affordabe for me now 2x (1280x1080)

after latest firmware upgrade my miniDP->HDMI cables don't work any more with Surface Dock. I even got replaced my dock but new one has the same issue

Sue Penick

Correct me if I'm wrong but the LG 34UC87M-B has a display port connection on the back right? I highly suggest you use that as opposed to HDMI, display port is much more reliable and has a locking system. I personal use the Asus ROG PG348Q (Amazon.com: Asus ROG PG348Q 34-Inch Ultra-wide QHD Swift Curved Gaming Monitor: Electronics) which is a very similar monitor at 34 inches 3440x1440. This Mini DP to full DP V1.2 cable has worked perfectly from me: Amazon.com: Mini DP TO DP Cable,TechRise 6.56FT Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable Converter Adapter V1.2,4K Resolution Supportted -Male to Male: Computers & Accessories

yes it has every kind of connection possible. I'll try the Adapters from Amazon when they arrive and if that doesn't help I'll consider this next. I have to team members who also have surface books and they have no display issues. I'm hoping its the adapters! otherwise it may just be my laptop. I may have gotten a lemon.

Cimmerian

yes it has every kind of connection possible. I'll try the Adapters from Amazon when they arrive and if that doesn't help I'll consider this next. I have to team members who also have surface books and they have no display issues. I'm hoping its the adapters! otherwise it may just be my laptop. I may have gotten a lemon.

Okay, just remember that when using an adapter the cable you attach to it matters too. It will only work as desired if you're using an HDMI 2.0 cable in conjunction with it, an HDMI 1.0 cable will bottleneck it's functionality. I haven't been able to find a Mini DP to Male HDMI 2.0 only female which requires you buy an additional HDMI 2.0 cable if you don't already have one. The Mini DP to DP V1.2 is convenient in this aspect.

Sue Penick

Okay, just remember that when using an adapter the cable you attach to it matters too. It will only work as desired if you're using an HDMI 2.0 cable in conjunction with it, an HDMI 1.0 cable will bottleneck it's functionality. I haven't been able to find a Mini DP to Male HDMI 2.0 only female which requires you buy an additional HDMI 2.0 cable if you don't already have one. The Mini DP to DP V1.2 is convenient in this aspect.

ok - thanks (I just ordered 2 2.0 hdmi cables just in case...I can't tell if mine are 1.0 or 2.0 but the 2.0's look completely different on Amazon, so I'm going to try that also. Thank you so much!