What's new

Surface Event May 20th NY City billed as a "Small Gathering"

quadtronix

I just read in some article on Flipboard - could have been by Michael Selleck (Microsoft News) - that there is a possibility that MS will play around with aspect ratios of the Surface (may even be with the Mini). Apparently, quoting Panos, the report said that MS was aware of feedback that using the Surface in portrait mode was unwieldy and, as a consequence, they are looking to play around with aspect ratios. If that happens either with reference to the Surface Mini or even the Surface 2 - with inking capability - I would be all over it!

Edit: I'll try and get the link to the article. If I can locate it, I'll put it up here.

Edit: Sorry, that article was not by Michael Welleck. It was on Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...om-microsoft-hints-at-surface-mini-unveiling/

I read (in a few places, actually), that the mini will have a 4:3 aspect ratio... While I like the aesthetics and look/feel of widescreen, I also love my iPad mini(retina) so I guess I wouldn't mind so much if this turns out to be true... The main things I'm concerned with is that it's full HD! And that it's fast! And glitch free! Can't wait for the 20th!!!

quadtronix

It is possible, but I'm not sure if they would want to muddy the waters between the Pro Line and Surface Line, which would be one argument for putting a Wacom on the Mini to help differentiate the three lines....

MINI -
Tegra4 SoC
8" Display w/ Wacom Digitizer 5 Touch Points
2GB RAM
16GB or 32GB Storage
$250-$350

Surface
Tegra4 SoC
10.6 Display w/ 5 Touch Points
2GB RAM
32 or 64GB Storage
$449-$549

Pro 2
Core i5
10.6 Display w/ Wacom Digitizer and 10 Touch Points
4/8GB RAM
64/128/256/512GB Storage
$899-$1799

I see two problems with these Mini predictions though... First I read that the Mini will have a Snapdragon SOC not Tegra 4... And second, (and more importantly) I don't think they can put 16GB in a windows 8/RT device... Was that a typo? 16GB is highly insufficient for any Win tablet even RT.

kristalsoldier

I read (in a few places, actually), that the mini will have a 4:3 aspect ratio... While I like the aesthetics and look/feel of widescreen, I also love my iPad mini(retina) so I guess I wouldn't mind so much if this turns out to be true... The main things I'm concerned with is that it's full HD! And that it's fast! And glitch free! Can't wait for the 20th!!!

Oh wow! If that happens they I am getting one for sure!!!!! It will tick the two major requirements for me - the aspect ratio AND inking! And, if it is the 9" size, then that would be even better - with an SD card slot! Now, I can't wait for the 20th too!

CrippsCorner

Very excited about this one... though they should have definitely called it a 'mini gathering' :p

Thurrott is stating they might be revealing more than one product. Come on Microsoft you own Nokia now, it's time for Surface Phone!

I see two problems with these Mini predictions though... First I read that the Mini will have a Snapdragon SOC not Tegra 4... And second, (and more importantly) I don't think they can put 16GB in a windows 8/RT device... Was that a typo? 16GB is highly insufficient for any Win tablet even RT.

Supposedly some changes in 8.1 Update 1 allow for significant reductions in Windows' disk space footprint: Microsoft Fixes OS Disk Space Consumption with New WIMBoot in Windows 8.1 Update 1 | Windows 8.1 content from Windows IT Pro

A 16GiB Surface would be a hell of a reason they spent so much effort in such changes :)

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Bloomberg is reporting Qualcomm (was an earlier rumor that has resurfaced (pun intended)), it could still be the Tegra4, we'll find out on May 20, also 16GB isn't a typo, with 8.1 Update 1 OEMs can put OS/Office in a 4GB WIM file...and boot from the WIM

quadtronix

Bloomberg is reporting Qualcomm (was an earlier rumor that has resurfaced (pun intended)), it could still be the Tegra4, we'll find out on May 20, also 16GB isn't a typo, with 8.1 Update 1 OEMs can put OS/Office in a 4GB WIM file...and boot from the WIM

I didn't know that about Update 1. I would probably go for the 16GB model knowing that... Depending on the price of a larger capacity mini if one was available. The 20th can not come soon enough!! :) VERY excited!!