What's new

Surface Lap Holder

sleith001

First post here, thought this is the right place for this. I have been prototyping a "Surface lap holder". As the name says, you snap it your lap, it forms a mini-table, you put the Surface on top. there are slots to slide the bottom edge and kick stand in. I have got the close to product prototype, tested pro and rt. It works. Sturdy enough to hold the Surface (pro or rt), while typing on the touch or type cover. On one lap only. You can however put the other lap closer but no need for that. Generally working with one lap. Size is exactly a A4 paper fold in half. Weight: 110g (Lumia 920 weighs 185g, Lumia 521: 124g). Foldable, when folded, 0.25" (6.35mm), that's the thickness of a single DVD case. So it's very portable. Safe to say you can put it into bag and forget about it.

I want ask the community, whether there would be any interest. Projected price in ($18-$20), made of strengthened nylon. Put it straight forward, if I make it, would you/anyone buy? Honest answer, please. You would help me a lot buy sharing your opinion.

Attachments

• Surface-Holder-2.png
    Surface-Holder-2.png
    12 KB · Views: 1,299
OP
S

sleith001

True. Honestly I don't own a Surface now. I do design based specs and I go to BestBuy many time to try out. BestBuy get it tied up. I will have to drive to Microsoft store to do it. Maybe I can do that later. Basically I want to gather opinions based on my description. Just assume it works as what I said. If I want users make decision to buy, I should have a video. Thanks for advice.

kristalsoldier

Personally, I would probably not use such a thing, which is not a reflection on either your concept or your design. I just have very rare instances where I need to put my RT on my lap to work. There is always some surface around on which I can use it. No...wait...that did not sound right...or did it?

OP
S

sleith001

@krstalsoldier,

Well, the usage may be mostly on the go. that's the whole point of lap top. I think there is good chance for a laptop to be used on the lap. I think many people who have the Surface on the go like to type on the lap (like on the train, in the waiting room, you don't usually have a surface to put on). Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
OP
S

sleith001

@dleuen, it has a small surface, under it there are two side board, snap it open so you can snap it on the leg while you are sitting. Put Surface on top of it. The three surface (1 top, two sides) give a proper pressure on the leg to make it stable. The result is your can have mini-table on top of your lap. Then you can put the Surface on top of it, you can tap on your touch/type cover, much like you are using a laptop.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

Why do you need something special to place and use the Surface on your lap? It already has a kickstand and a keyboard so if you absolutely must use it on your lap because of a lack of desk/tabletop space, it already works as-is.

OP
S

sleith001

Agree with you, Nuspieds, but I have things on my side: if you are going to do that for a hour or two, this will make you feel better. I haven't tried for a hour, but tried using Surface on laps for like 10 minutes, the feel of you have cautiously keep the legs together make me feel tired. Also you can only feel the benefit when you only need one leg make it work.