What's new

Surface Line Abandoned by Microsoft?

drolem

I think it is a given that we will see a Broadwell based SP4 since it will require little R&D to bring to market.
Yes, it's a certainty that there will be an SP4 (or maybe 3.5 ;) ) , released with the next version of Windows. (whatever that may be :p )

Of course, moving forward, I can see that MS may not want to remain in the PC hardware space. The Surface Pro line was meant to showcase Windows as a viable tablet platform and with more hardware manufactures producing Windows based tablets it may not make much sense for MS to continue to manufacture competing hardware. Not to mention, support has been a nightmare.
The whole lineup was meant to follow Apple's lead and was expected to produce similar profits. Of course, they're kinda far from Apple in profits, and I'm not sure if they are even close to breaking even on any model. The SP3 Pro is a great piece of hardware, but there is more to commercial success than that. For example, all those bugs that shouldn't made it out to retail units, and the build issues with the delaminating screens.

InspectHerGadget

I'm thinking the user base for whom the SPx wold most suit are teachers and students followed by business people.

The educational market is business bought and paid for by Apple, wining and dining key people in schools and universities.

Honestly the Surface will be a kick in the pips and will rock them to their Apple core.

No doubt a sauce of much anxiety to the Apple Management.

Sven

I have had my SP3 for 24 hours. It is hands down the most stellar computing device I've owned. It would be a tragedy to see MS discontinue it - the sheer number of use cases for productivity based tasks is mind blowing. Loved my MacBook Retina, bust this is just way better. Sure, there are some quirks, but it can only get better ...

wynand32

I have had my SP3 for 24 hours. It is hands down the most stellar computing device I've owned. It would be a tragedy to see MS discontinue it - the sheer number of use cases for productivity based tasks is mind blowing. Loved my MacBook Retina, bust this is just way better. Sure, there are some quirks, but it can only get better ...

Agreed, and I think Microsoft knows what they have as well. The great thing is, they have plenty of cash and profits to be really, really strategic about things. If Microsoft can execute on their vision, Apple will end up exactly where they were before--as a niche player. They'll be better off because they're so profitable this time around, but they're going to end up stuck at less than 10% in a lot of markets (with the iPhone maybe being the only exception, but with Android's dominance, who knows).

Nuspieds

As much as I look forward to buying my SP4, one must remember that Microsoft is predominantly a software company. Case in point: The Zune.

After all, how many MS-branded laptops/desktops do you see? None, because all MS needs are the OEMs. If the OEMs made and sold tablets/hybrids in the same/projected volume as their PCs, would MS really be building and selling the Surface Pro line of hardware?

Pre-Windows 8, laptops and desktops were well-suited for MS' OS; thus, no need for MS to enter the laptop/desktop hardware market. However, with the adoption and popularity of tablet/mobile devices, a different Windows was required for such devices. Unfortunately, Windows 8 could not draw the excitement nor interest of the consumer or OEM market as it had done with previous versions of Windows.

So, who's left to showcase the new Windows on tablet/mobile devices? Predominantly, that's MS. Thus far, Windows on tablet/mobile devices has not had the success it has on desktops/laptops. Will Windows 10 turn things around? Who knows?!

But let's say for a moment that it does and the adoption and popularity of Windows-based tablet/mobile devices grow to or are growing to that of the laptop/desktop-based Windows, does MS really need to produce the Surface Pro?

For me, I wouldn't be surprised if they exited the market under such winning conditions. In the meantime, though, without OEM volume production/consumer adoption, they will need to encourage adoption of their future OS by showcasing it on their own hardware.

But it would be a shame, however, to see the Surface Pro die--even if OEMs started to enjoy the same success with their tablet/mobile devices as they had with their desktop/laptop devices. I know that the Surface Pro has its competitors, but--to me--nothing (so far, anyway!) beats that touchscreen and detachable keyboard!

The Surface Pro is alive! Long live the Surface Pro! :D

wynand32

Actually, hybrid devices like the SP3 have enjoyed one of the higher year-over-year sales increases of all PC categories (along with high-end ultrabooks and, of course, the MacBook Air). The value of the Surface line to Microsoft, I think, is in three primary areas:

1. Maintaining pressure on their OEMs to keep producing compelling devices.
2. Demonstrating what the Windows platform is capable of independent of OEMs.
3. Positioning Microsoft as a relevant player in mobile devices (same reason why they won't abandon Windows Phone).

I see too much value there for Microsoft to abandon the Surface line.

Knuck

There has been a long history of Microsoft's major shareholders pushing to have Microsoft focus predominantly on the enterprise marketplace and dump all hardware endeavours. It is not surprising to hear these type of rumours surface (no pun intended) again. Have you listened to the newest CEO, Nadella speak lately. He was not at the helm when the Surface was created. His background is with the Cloud and Enterprise group. Anything is possible.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There has been a long history of Microsoft's major shareholders pushing to have Microsoft focus predominantly on the enterprise marketplace and dump all hardware endeavours. It is not surprising to hear these type of rumours surface (no pun intended) again. Have you listened to the newest CEO, Nadella speak lately. He was not at the helm when the Surface was created. His background is with the Cloud and Enterprise group. Anything is possible.
Shareholders, surprisingly or not, often don't have the best interest of the company in mind.
See Carl Ichan re Apple.

wynand32

Anything is indeed possible, but the signs certainly aren't there for any sea change in strategy. I think Windows 10 by itself solidifies the Surface line's future: Microsoft really, really needs to be able to ensure that at least one device fully supports Windows 10, and the only way to do that is to make the hardware themselves and optimize for the software. They can't rely on their OEMs in this case, I don't think.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anything is indeed possible, but the signs certainly aren't there for any sea change in strategy. I think Windows 10 by itself solidifies the Surface line's future: Microsoft really, really needs to be able to ensure that at least one device fully supports Windows 10, and the only way to do that is to make the hardware themselves and optimize for the software. They can't rely on their OEMs in this case, I don't think.
Nobody is holding a gun to their head stopping them from building a better device.

ctitanic

The only thing that I can say about my Surface is that for being a dead body it looks very healthy. :p