What's new

Surface Low Volume Microphone Work Around

SteveL

I have had my 2017 Surface Pro since last July and just got around to resolving my trouble with connecting a microphone to my Sfc. I have six different mics and none work with the Surface 3 or Surface 5. Research and a dialog with one manufacturer revealed that all my microphones are likely of the condenser type and they must have a Voltage bias of 2-5VDC to function. Apparently the Surface computers do not provide a bias Voltage to the microphone.

composite.jpg
composite.jpg

Well, I found these three products at Amazon for under $10 each and they all provide a bias voltage to the mic. I can connect any of my headset and/or microphones to the Surface and they work great. I am NOT reviewing the audio quality. These are all what I can call good quality and meet my needs for out of-the-house work and play. Actually I didn't expect them to sound as good as they do.

FYI, I have an i7 256GB and it plays Elder Scrolls Online in hotels at about 30fps with low graphic settings. It processes my photos and videos incredibly fast and I am really happy with the size, weight, and performance. I do run an external muffin fan when in room that is over 80 deg but otherwise I do not run one.

Happy Trails

OP
SteveL

SteveL

It looks like my Dropbox link is not working here so I uploaded the picture.

Attachments

• composite.jpg
    composite.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 579