Surface name rumored to be replaced by HORRIBLE name Lumia.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by EMINENT, Jun 28, 2014.

1. EMINENT

EMINENT Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    One of the most horrid and lucrative rumors I've ever heard. Lumia is difficult to pronounce. I cringe every time I hear someone say Lumina like the Chevrolet Lumina. That car SUCKED! I don't know about you, but I don't want my tablet associated with that horrible POS and of which people can't even pronounce right. What on earth are these people thinking at Microsoft?

Please dear God make this just a rumor or I might have to ditch the brand. The phone is bad enough. I don't want my tablet named that crap.

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones | Windows Phone Central

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Moving to off topic.

3. EMINENT

EMINENT Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Everyone needs to take to Twitter and Facebook to let them know that this is a terrible idea.

Hit up Microsoft, Surface, and Windows all if you feel the way I do.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. daniielrp

daniielrp Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I like it, customer engagement with the brand is very good, Lumia is more recognisable to people than "Windows Phone" or "Surface".

Yes, I've met people who say 'Lumina' (they're no worse than people who say 'Aluminum' ;) ) - but that's not a reason to hate on a name that will get more people on board with the brand.

5. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Perhaps they can develop two distinct lines of devices - Lumia for the consumer segment and Surface for the "professional" segment. The former driven by the outcome of the convergence of Win Phone OS and Windows RT, while the latter driven by the full Windows OS and riding an Intel chip. This way, MS could probably continue to exploit whatever goodwill and market recognition that the Lumia brand has for its consumer market segment across its phone, phablet and tablet lines. The Surface brand would be directly associated with "professionals" and the enterprise segments - across its phone, phablet, tablet/ hybrid lines.

I think MS would be making a mistake if killed the Surface brand. It has immense possibilities!

6. benjitek

benjitek Active Member

My Device:
    SPro2
    Terrible idea... If anything they should be moving things over to the Surface name. Surface (hybrids) and Surface Phone. The name represents the product, and lends itself quite well to endless advertising scenarios. Hopefully, it'll turn out to be nothing more than what it is now: a rumor :-(

7. Nuspieds

Nuspieds Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I couldn't care less if a product name appeals to me or not; what I care about is whether its features and functionality appeal to me.

By any other name, I'd still purchase the Surface Pro line of devices.

8. benjitek

benjitek Active Member

My Device:
    SPro2
    That's great for you -- but if it's not marketed well, it won't stay on the market -- no matter how deep the pockets of Microsoft -- it's not about you ;-)

9. EMINENT

EMINENT Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I know that Lumia isn't better known than Surface. It shouldn't be either. It's been a failure since inception. They know the phones as Nokia xxx, or xxxx. Not Lumia something. No one cares for that name. It just doesn't stand out.

10. Nuspieds

Nuspieds Active Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    That's exactly right that it isn't about me...and nowhere in my post did I ever state or suggest that the name should be all about what I want or think it should be. I repeat: I couldn't care less if a product name appeals to me or not; what I care about is whether its features and functionality appeal to me.

In other words, if the product meets my use case and it has a name that appeals to me, then great; if it meets my use case and has a name that does not appeal to me, then still great!

11. benjitek

benjitek Active Member

My Device:
    SPro2
    Hopefully it'll be marketed in a way that it can continue to be available to meet your needs. Thanks for stopping by ;-)

12. daniielrp

daniielrp Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Where do you get this info from? They don't know them as Nokia xxx, they know them as Lumia xxx - I know this because I work in the mobile industry and deal with clients all day who use a range of different devices, but anyone with a Lumia knows it is a Lumia.