What's new

Surface Pen does not write

dmueller87

Hi guys,
I got my new Surface 3 a few weeks ago. Everything is fine, but I have one problem:

I connected my Surface Pen via Bluetooth. When I press the "Top Button" OneNote starts. But I am not able to write something on the screen with the pen.
I googled but I cannot find any information about needed drivers etc. My speculation is that there is a problem with the driver for the display. But how can I check this?

Or is my pen broken?

Thanks and regards, Daniel

Telstar1948

Well...there are two "watch" style batteries in the upper part of the pen for the BT, but the bottom part of the pen hold a AAAA battery for the actual inking. Sometimes there's a little tab inserted between the AAAA battery and the terminal so the battery doesn't drain while setting on the shelf. That tab has to be removed.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, otherwise the "top button" and the Bluetooth-docking would not work I think :)

that runs off different batteries already installed in the pen (watch batteries). If you unscrew it, a AAAA battery fits inside. If i recall correctly from an unboxing video, the pen battery is found slightly hidden at the bottom of the box.