What's new

Surface Pen.....How's it working for ya?

Jay Marino

I have an SP3 i7 256GB and when I opened it and fired her up...I tried the pen out. Wow was it accurate. It was literally just like a pen and paper. Then after about a month, it wasn't working as well. For instance if I write the word "Microsoft" in regular letters (not cursive) the M comes in fine, the I doesn't show, the CRO looks good, then the top of the S is missing the - in the F is not there and half of the top of the t is missing.

However when I wrote this word when it first came out it was perfect. I thought it might be the settings or calibration. I tried new calibration settings, but nothing.

So, I ordered a brand new pen...maybe that was it....
NOPE.
This brand new pen does the same thing....

The problem is that I do need the pen to be like flawless because when I'm signing documents or having a client sign documents, we really can't be going back over letters and stuff.

Anyone else experience this?

P.S. Love the SP3 by the way. It's now my main computer for the office and home. Completely mobile and love it.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Used to have a similar issue with Windows 8.1 now and then. But...
heyjay.jpg

leyvzilla

Been lurkingg here before I had a surface pro and finally got one. :D

Hey Jay,

I had the same issue with the pen. Make sure the bluettoth pen is sync'd correctly. The first couple days I had the surface, I was not getting good battery, so I was turning stuff off like shutting down processes and even live tiles. Anyways, I turned off bluetooth (to save battery) and the pen was not writting as smooth anymore. Long story short, check the sync on the pen and make sure its properly synced with the bluetooth or check the batteries on the pen.

p.s. My early battery drain was from chrome running in the background. Now, everything is smooth and love my surface. :cool:

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

Good to know. Thank you everyone that commented. It's interesting that WIN10 seemed to fix this.

Leyvzilla, batteries should be fine, both pens I have used are about 2 months old with minimal use. I'll check the bluetooth Sync and see if I can't tighten something up there.... It's just frustrating because it was flawless for about a month and then just out of no where stopped working well.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know. Thank you everyone that commented. It's interesting that WIN10 seemed to fix this.

Leyvzilla, batteries should be fine, both pens I have used are about 2 months old with minimal use. I'll check the bluetooth Sync and see if I can't tighten something up there.... It's just frustrating because it was flawless for about a month and then just out of no where stopped working well.
Pen/Touch Calibration has been detrimental to Pen Performance on Windows 8.x, reset it and see if it works better. Also use a thicker width for the pen and see if it helps. The only other thing would be a screen protector killing sensitivity.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Jay,

Do you have a Bluetooth mouse possibly interfering?
Or do you live in a congested 2.4 GHz WiFi environment such as an apartment complex or dorm?
Are you near communications equipment, especially microwave beamers?
Are you near a working microwave oven?
Can you change your own router to Channel 1, 6, or 11 (thereby avoiding channel overlap)?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jay,

Do you have a Bluetooth mouse possibly interfering?
Or do you live in a congested 2.4 GHz WiFi environment such as an apartment complex or dorm?
Are you near communications equipment, especially microwave beamers?
Are you near a working microwave oven?
Can you change your own router to Channel 1, 6, or 11 (thereby avoiding channel overlap)?
Bluetooth? The pen only uses the radio for screen clipping and launching OneNote.....the Digitizer uses an electrical,current from the pen that the sensor on the screen detects to close the Circuit for the X-Y Axis.