What's new

Surface pen won't open OneNote 2016 in Windows 10

Is anyone else having problems pairing their pen with Office 2016 in Windows 10

• Total voters

gserichards

I recently purchased a surface 3. Upgraded to windows 10 an also upgraded to Microsoft Office 2016 via Office 365. My surface pen's top button will not open OneNote 2016, only OneNote. I have updated all hardware and apps, especially the surface app. The new surface app now doesn't even give me an option to choose the default onenote. I went through program manager and set 2016 to be my default for everything. It still doesn't work. I went to the Microsoft store and after an hour they couldn't figure it out either. Is there a solution for this? A simple Bing search has shown that this is a common problem. How do I get my pen to function solely with 2016 and not do anything with the old OneNote? If there isn't a solution for this, is it at least being looked at for a fix win an upcoming update? Please help, I am at my wits end with this.

Gus

My pen wont even open one note so you should feel lucky. All i get is the login screen. If I am logged in, I get the desktop

Kris

I recently purchased a surface 3. Upgraded to windows 10 an also upgraded to Microsoft Office 2016 via Office 365. My surface pen's top button will not open OneNote 2016, only OneNote. I have updated all hardware and apps, especially the surface app. The new surface app now doesn't even give me an option to choose the default onenote. I went through program manager and set 2016 to be my default for everything. It still doesn't work. I went to the Microsoft store and after an hour they couldn't figure it out either. Is there a solution for this? A simple Bing search has shown that this is a common problem. How do I get my pen to function solely with 2016 and not do anything with the old OneNote? If there isn't a solution for this, is it at least being looked at for a fix win an upcoming update? Please help, I am at my wits end with this.
Welcome to the forums
I have only gotten it to work with Autohotkey check this post out to see how to set it up
Open Onenote Desktop with pen | Microsoft Surface Forums