What's new

Surface Phone Concept Device

CrippsCorner

so why not get the lumia 535 or 635 or a plethora of other lumia phones with 4"- 5" screens?

I'm sorry, but in the current iterations, Lumia's cannot be compared to the iPhone 6... different league. This is why I'd need an amazing new Surface Phone flagship to tempt me across.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
then the Lumia 1020 would be an excellent choice for you, 41MP camera and 4.5 inch screen 32GB internal storage and a slew of other great features... and they're cheap nowadays! you can buy a ysed one in great shape for good prices... I highly recommend it for you too see how great win phones are! I just lUVLUV my lumia 1520... if only my LTE would get better reception I would never change it!

Except that as per my earlier comment, it is uglier than sin. There is no chance i'd pick up one of the current Lumia phones, hence why i'm waiting till the new releases to see what is what in the windows phone world. If I was going to get a last gen windows phone then the HTC M8 would be the only contender.

kundas1

I'm sorry, but in the current iterations, Lumia's cannot be compared to the iPhone 6... different league. This is why I'd need an amazing new Surface Phone flagship to tempt me across.

PFFFT! no way an iPhone 6 compares to the lumia 1520, (just hardware wise) EXCEPT camera the L1520 blows the iPhone 6 out of the water, and I have friends who own iPhone 6 says that also... the only thing iPhone 6 has better is the apps and camera... all my friends who own iphones 6 wouldn't goto the Lumia 1520 is lack of apps that's it... but I guess its all relative to the users expectations and wants. I just wish MS would get after these devs to start making apps and games! then MS phones would be a heavy contender!

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
PFFFT! no way an iPhone 6 compares to the lumia 1520, (just hardware wise) EXCEPT camera the L1520 blows the iPhone 6 out of the water, and I have friends who own iPhone 6 says that also... the only thing iPhone 6 has better is the apps and camera... all my friends who own iphones 6 wouldn't goto the Lumia 1520 is lack of apps that's it... but I guess its all relative to the users expectations and wants. I just wish MS would get after these devs to start making apps and games! then MS phones would be a heavy contender!
get after them with $$$. They wont make them because it's not worth their time., so make it worth their time. However, not just one release... make it worth their time over several releases which would make it worth users time to invest in the platform.

CrippsCorner

Lumia 1520 is a niche device, which I guess all Windows Phones are to be honest. My girlfriend had the Lumia 920 and I did like it, but at the time I had and iPhone 5S which was of course very small... the iPhone deleted and chance the Windows Phones had of grabbing my custom!

Have you seen the leaked images of the new ones?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/26/9212985/microsoft-lumia-flagship-phones-leak

Just so bland! :( they really could have done something here, but in my opinion the bezels, logos, materials and design need fixing before these can become real alternatives.

bluegrass

I have had a Nokia 925 for the past 2.5 years. My vision isn't the best, so the larger phones are appealing to me. My main con with Windows phones are the apps. A lot of specialty apps such as ones for my GoPro's & Phantom quad copter are always made available for iPhone & Androids. I refuse to go the Android route but I'm seriously thinking of switching to an iPhone. I'll wait until October and see what Microsoft & Apple come up with. Besides the iPhone 6's will probably really drop in price after the new ones come out.

I'm pretty sure all the carriers or going to go the way of Verizon and stop heavily discounting the high end phones in exchange for signing a two year contract. I think all the of the carriers are going to stop doing contracts. My plans are to retire to living fulltime in and RV and doing a lot of traveling so a good serviceable phone with the best nationwide connections will be important to me. I would like to stay with a Windows phone but having a phone that runs all Windows 10 apps really isn't that important to me with my trusty Surface with me all the time.

kundas1

I find the Lumia phones don't look so bland to me... the L1520 is a sexy beast and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so!

CrippsCorner

Sorry, I was mainly talking about the newly revealed (well, not officially) phones. I think they're especially disappointing because people were expecting for so much... something different. Looks like it's not going to happen this time, which could be their last shot :rolleyes: if this is all they have in their bag, they're in trouble.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I was mainly talking about the newly revealed (well, not officially) phones. I think they're especially disappointing because people were expecting for so much... something different. Looks like it's not going to happen this time, which could be their last shot :rolleyes: if this is all they have in their bag, they're in trouble.
I would agree that they need to come out with something that at the least can go toe to toe, head to head, feature for feature with the best iPhone and Android aka Samsung has to offer. Note 5, S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+ (I cant say I've ever understood Samsung's strategy with regards to profit making but they have every possible market position covered with a plethora of devices. I'm not suggesting anyone should take that approach. In fact I think that has played a role in the early burnout of mobile device market i.e tablets and soon to be phones as well).

I suspect what will be released will be a compromise device, we think this is good enough and satisfies 80% of what we think people want and in the process generates little if any excitement resulting in the final flop. I do so hope they prove me wrong on this, but the odds and history are against it.

kundas1

I like the new fones, I don't get why you don't like them, but I do agree they need to step up their designs! there is a couple of concept fones I've seen that looks so nice and I wonder why MS hasn't adopted them! they would KILL the market!... or almost LOL just check out these examples!
95273d1422691851-windows-10-phone-concept.jpg

or this one!
1236096421-3.jpg

or this one! jeez, kinda when you think about it WTH are the designer/engineers doing at MS?!!!!
steaur__windows_phone_concept_by_sharkurban-d58t6p1.png

this is my fav!
Windows-Phone-360-concept-1.jpg

CrippsCorner

They're along the right lines sure. Thing is Windows Phone hasn't made a dent yet, so the current strategy isn't working meaning they need something new... not just more of the same!