What's new

Surface Pro 10/4/2013 Firmware Update

Sit

I tried the update but for my astronomical software, OpenGL failed. I had to roll back the driver. Nice find thought.

ultra99

Ya, got that too. Didn't upgrade yet. It says for Windows 8.0, but I'm running 8.1.

Also, Various device driver updates to enhance the Windows 8.1 update experience, and optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2. When are these coming?

Pepper

I installed the update, already running 8.1 here but Windows Update offered it anyway.

After the several reboots for firmware, it had rolled back the display driver so I reinstalled it and rebooted. It seemed to have left the WiFi and Wacom drivers alone.

I would have preferred to download the zip like I did for the August update, so I could choose the individual pieces, but it's not yet in the download center. Would also be nice if the release notes page was a bit more detailed.

Last edited:

Garyjk

•Various device driver updates to enhance the Windows 8.1 update experience, and optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.

Note These updates should be applied prior to updating to Windows 8.1

ultra99

•Various device driver updates to enhance the Windows 8.1 update experience, and optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.

Note These updates should be applied prior to updating to Windows 8.1

Yeah, that what's holding me back. I'm on 8.1 RTM, should I go for it?

benjaminries

Yeah, that what's holding me back. I'm on 8.1 RTM, should I go for it?

I updated last night without any problems. Running 8.1 RTM, and already had the Intel 15.33.2.64.3282 graphics driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23194) and the Marvell 14.69.24040.136 wireless driver (Download Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller Driver 14.69.24040.136 for Windows 8 64 bit) installed.

For me, the firmware update left both of those (newer) drivers untouched. As best I can tell, it did update the Intel Management Interface driver, but left some of the other system devices on their old 2006 generic MS driver versions. Everything works smoothly for me so far.

pierre118

I also did the october Firmware update on Windows 8.1 RTM Enterprise.

- The intel graphics driver was downgraded to version 10.18.10.3262 ( I had 3282). So no Intel Graphics Control Center anymore. Have to update them myself.
- A surprise was the new Bluetooth driver from Marvell, I had the march 2013 version, now I have the 2-8-2013 version. Hope that it will solve the Sculpt Comfort Mouse problems I have. (hicupps)
- New cam drivers

Too early to experience improvements.

demandarin

I did the new update also. It rolled my graphics driver back. So I reinstalled the latest Intel generic one from 7/29/2013. Version 9.18.10.3257. Like I have linked in my thread on latest graphics driver update.