Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by MickeyLittle, Jan 3, 2014.

1. MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Some think it doesn't matter but some think that it does. So if this doesn't matter to you, please ignore this thread and let the rest of us enjoy the research!

The only identifying mark so far is that user "Jollywombat" mentioned that his new Surface Pro 2 with the updated 1.9 processors has a Lot Number of 1351. My model the 128 SP2 has the old 1.6 processors and my Lot Number is 1341. Please take a minute to list which model you have and whether or not you have the new updated 1.9 speed processors. This is in reference to the following article. Surface Pro 2.5 i5 4300U 1.9 Ghz 2.5 Ghz - Microsoft Community

As an update of 3 pages of thread results it strongly appears that the new 4300u processor starts with Lot 1350 so if you get Lot 1349 or lower you will get the older/original 4200u processor.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. the_new_normal

the_new_normal Member

Lot 1342
    Model 1601
    256/8 version
    Original 4200 chip
    Australian retailer purchase 6th Nov '13
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. Philtastic

Philtastic Member

I bought an SP2 256 GB December 10 and lot number was 1343, 4200U version. I'm pretty sure the lot number is merely the last 2 digits of the year + the week number. If Jollywombat had a lot number of 1351, it means that any SP2 made at least after Dec. 22 or so has the 4300U, assuming that all manufacturing plants are following the same schedule. I went in to exchange mine but they only had lot number 1350: I'm glad that I didn't do the swap since I thought that it was too borderline. I think I'm going to wait a week before I try to exchange again to make sure that I'm seeing new stock.
  4. Dim-Ize

Dim-Ize Active Member

Wow. This is incredible. I know I shouldn't be wanting the new processor... but, man, it does make me think about a return. Hmm. Wonder what the real world difference would be for gaming? Like 1-2 frames per second better or 10 better? The former is moot. The later would be significant.
  5. Andaliu

Andaliu New Member

Just bought yesterday.
    Lot 1348 - i5 4200u
  6. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    Maybe it is more than the faster processor. I have the 4200u and have the screen flicker issue, so I have turned off the "Display power saving options" and "Extend battery life for gaming option". I have updated my graphics display driver. Sure the screen flicker is gone but I'm wondering if the issue is even there on the 4300u?

Sorry I didn't think of this last night!
  7. eelpout

eelpout New Member

Do we know for sure 1350 isn't the 4300u? So far I've only seen that 1351 has it.
  8. Philtastic

Philtastic Member

No idea if 1350 has the 4300U or not but the earliest Geekbench benchmark featuring a 4300U is from Dec. 28:
    Surface pro 2 - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser

It's possible that a SP2 made in the week of Dec. 15 has the 4300U but I just thought it was not a high enough chance given the meagre info that we have.

The move from a 4200U to 4300U is actually pretty significant. It's a 300 MHz clockspeed increase which results in roughly a 17% increase in performance according to synthetic benchmark Passmark:
    www.cpubenchmark.net (you'll have to find the numbers there yourself)

The integrated graphics is also clocked 10% higher. Not a huge jump but still 2-3 fps more for free.

Only downside is that it might drain more battery if you're pushing the processor and maxing out its clockspeed which should not be very often unless you're playing a game or rendering a video or other fairly taxing task.
    1 person likes this.
  9. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    I went to Best Buy this afternoon since that is where I purchased mine on 12/30. I told them about my dimming screen and the Lot 1351. They looked through all 8 128gb units and had 1 that was Lot 1351 and gladly swapped with me. The rest were 1348 and 1350. I am in the process of re-setting it up now but I will report back as to whether or not I have to apply all the fixes that I had to before to counter the screen dimming effect or not.

And yes this Lot 1351 is definitively running 1.9 on the 4300!:big smile:
    1 person likes this.
  10. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    If they hadn't had the 1 1351 I would have taken a 1350 for sure but since they had the 1351 I wasn't chancing that... Good luck!
  11. wmqiadm

wmqiadm New Member

Just bought sp2 256gb from Ms local store today.
    lot#1350 I got the CPU 4300u with 1.9ghz-2.5ghz
    1 person likes this.
  12. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    So now it looks like Lot 1350 might be safe for the updated processor as well. It is worth a shot if it is the newest available. Oh and so far I am not experiencing any screen flicker/dimming like before but I know that could be just my device so maybe others can respond to differences you notice.
  13. eelpout

eelpout New Member

That's cool. I hope the Best Buy I exchange mine at for the video banding thing is as easy going about it. And now that it looks like lot #1350 is safe as well, that will make it easier on them to sort through.
  14. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    I would like to hear from others about whether or not they feel that their new tablet is better since upgrading to the 4300u. I have noticed 2 improvements for me but I realize that they may have nothing to do with the 4300u, it might just be a better tablet than what I had but then again, that's why I would like to hear from others. Enough with similar results wipes any any doubt!

My 2 improvements are 1) no screen flicker/dimming whatsoever and 2) Tablet wakes up consistently without having to push the power button. The jury is still out on this as I've only been playing with this for 2-3 hours but it was real noticeable before.
  15. gw1974

gw1974 New Member

Hi just wonder where abouts is the lot number located so when I go into the shop to buy one I can see if they have a lot number 1350 or above,is it a sticker on the box or do you have to take the tablet out to find it,any chance someone can take a photo to show the lot number.

I actually purchased a 256GB surface pro 2 a couple of days ago and yesterday I took it back for a refund because it was the older model,but I didn't think to looks for lot numbers before returning the tablet.
  16. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    It is on the bottom long skinny edge of the box and it is located between the two bar code looking numbers. It is small print. Just remember that the 13 stands for 2013 and the 50 stands for the fiftieth week of the year. We know that 1348 hasn't worked out for anyone so far but no one has said anything about 1349.
  17. gw1974

gw1974 New Member

Thanks for that at least I know what to look for now,so is it definitely guaranteed do you think if I got a lot 1350 or 1351 above that I would have the new 4300u,I just don't like my chances of being able to take it back a second time if I end up with the old model again.
  18. strykerpsg

strykerpsg New Member

I would love to take mine back, but have had it just over 30 days now. Figures, not even 2 months old and a newer processor comes out, same price but greater performance.
  19. gw1974

gw1974 New Member

Yeah I was lucky it was only a day old with a couple of hours use,I mean to me I know in my own mind that the difference between the 4200u and the 4300u I wouldn't notice in normal day use,all the virtualization features don't mean much to me I would never use them.

It's just the fact that when I bought that old 4200u the other day it was basically outdated hardware the minute I walked out of the shop which is annoying when you pay $1469,and plus it devalues it when you go to sell it down the track as well.
  20. MickeyLittle

My Device:
    SPro3
    1351 for sure and yes one person has said that 1350 as well.