What's new

Surface Pro 2.5?

jollywombat

No, it was just the processor, everything there relates to the CPU...Turbo is the CPU upper limit speed in single core mode, the GPU is part of the processor, same model, just clocked slightly higher. The instruction sets are all related to processor supported features.

godson594

Don't worry about it. No matter when you buy a technology product, something new and better comes out a week or two later. I can't believe all the people that notice these little details. I haven't looked at the system hardware or whatever they looked at to find out what CPU chip they had. I haven't looked at those specs since I purchased my Surface. Screw those little details; just enjoy and be happy with what you have. I'm just happy for what it does and not what it doesn't.

I don't know how to feel about this really. It would be different if it was a year later, 2 months is waaay to fast to do a spec bump even it is a minor one. Most people who pre-order and show loyalty up front end up feeling screwed because if they would have waited a little bit they would have a better machine.

bradhaak

Not a big deal for me...actually, it's a complete non-issue.

I use my SP2 as a writing box. I run Word, Scrivener and a few other similar apps. They all ran seamlessly before this news broke and I'll bet that they still do.

There will always be something faster but if your computer still does what you need it to do then don't worry about it.

mennogreg

I remember something a few years back with regards to an OPPO premium DVD player that had an onboard video processor (2 chips). A few months after production, they had problems obtaining supply for that chip and had numerous inventory delays. They chose to go with a new single chip variation of those processors. Problem is that variation added additional features that, of course, wouldn't be available to those who supported the product earlier on. What the company decided to do is downgrade the processor via firmware so it would be identical in function to the previous design.

The last thing MS needs with its Surface line is aggravate more of its customers, and this hubbub likely could have been mitigated had they just downclocked the CPU to the speed of 4200U. No one's feelings get hurt, and maybe MS can get more stock out the door.

bluegrass

Heck. They should make it even slower, then the first buyers would feel even better. That'll teach em' for hangin' and waitin' for something better. I'm glad I got in on the first ones.

ShotSkydiver

my only question is... I bought my SP 2 about a month ago from Best Buy, will they let me exchange it for a hopefully new one or should I go to the Microsoft store directly and try to get an exchange due to the firmware update that screwed up my computer?

scfoster

Has anyone seen the i5-4300 in a 4GB machine (ie the 64GB and 128GB models) or is the bump only on the 8GB machines (ie the 256GB and 512GB models)?

Yes, I bought a 128GB unit at BB and it has the updated i5-4300.

Just ordered a 256 GB unit from Microsoft store (BB doesn't have any and Microsoft now does). Hoping it too will have the i5-4300. Wanted the extra RAM and storage.

godson594

my only question is... I bought my SP 2 about a month ago from Best Buy, will they let me exchange it for a hopefully new one or should I go to the Microsoft store directly and try to get an exchange due to the firmware update that screwed up my computer?

If your device hardware is good I would hold off and wait for a new firmware release to fix the botched problems. I'm on my second Sp2 and still have crap HW, going to try for a third one.

ShotSkydiver

If your device hardware is good I would hold off and wait for a new firmware release to fix the botched problems. I'm on my second Sp2 and still have crap HW, going to try for a third one.

I have the issue with the screen being creaky at the top due to loosened glue(?)

fonzman78

I don't know how to feel about this really. It would be different if it was a year later, 2 months is waaay to fast to do a spec bump even it is a minor one. Most people who pre-order and show loyalty up front end up feeling screwed because if they would have waited a little bit they would have a better machine.

I wonder, did you get a special agreement with your SPro2 purchase that the rest of us didn't get? Did your purchase price include an exclusive contract stating that MS will notify you when any hardware changes were eminent or that you are entitled to all future hardware upgrades?

Customer loyalty doesn't mean that you get upset because hardware upgrades were made a few months after you purchased your device. Customer loyalty means that you value your device and rejoice when they upgrade hardware. I'm excited for those of you who have received a bump in your hardware. I'm excited for those of you who, unlike me, waited a little longer to purchase your device. Me? I wanted the SPro2 on day 1. I'm happy with my purchase. If I truly want the extra bump in hardware, I can sell my SPro2, eat the cost, and turn around and buy a new one. In no way do I feel entitled to a free upgrade.

DragonGamer

I wonder, did you get a special agreement with your SPro2 purchase that the rest of us didn't get? Did your purchase price include an exclusive contract stating that MS will notify you when any hardware changes were eminent or that you are entitled to all future hardware upgrades?

Customer loyalty doesn't mean that you get upset because hardware upgrades were made a few months after you purchased your device. Customer loyalty means that you value your device and rejoice when they upgrade hardware. I'm excited for those of you who have received a bump in your hardware. I'm excited for those of you who, unlike me, waited a little longer to purchase your device. Me? I wanted the SPro2 on day 1. I'm happy with my purchase. If I truly want the extra bump in hardware, I can sell my SPro2, eat the cost, and turn around and buy a new one. In no way do I feel entitled to a free upgrade.

Well, there's just a psychical reason...
I mean you just cannot prevent yourself from thinking: "Damn, why do all those who buy now get something better for the same price as I did? :c"
It also really isn't a good thing for MS because it tells for the future products not to buy at the beginning but to buy later because they might improve something at the device.

Personally I'm pretty sure that I'll never really require the power the i5-4200 provides but it still just bugs, lol.
If they'd also have upgraded the cams on the device with this occasion, I'd probably do what you described and rebuy it...

Fact is, 2 months are just too early for an update. It's doubtworthy whether that's the right way to go, but I'd almost say they should have done what someone up there said and downclock the new devices to keep it fair and not to turn down people who already bought it...
On the other hand MS probably profits now because all media says "The SP 2 got even better, so buy it!", lol. Oh well.. the customers are always the losers xD

Last edited: