What's new

Surface Pro 2.5?

godson594

I wonder, did you get a special agreement with your SPro2 purchase that the rest of us didn't get? Did your purchase price include an exclusive contract stating that MS will notify you when any hardware changes were eminent or that you are entitled to all future hardware upgrades.

This is what you got out of my post? I mean really?

MickeyLittle

I wonder, did you get a special agreement with your SPro2 purchase that the rest of us didn't get? Did your purchase price include an exclusive contract stating that MS will notify you when any hardware changes were eminent or that you are entitled to all future hardware upgrades?

Customer loyalty doesn't mean that you get upset because hardware upgrades were made a few months after you purchased your device. Customer loyalty means that you value your device and rejoice when they upgrade hardware. I'm excited for those of you who have received a bump in your hardware. I'm excited for those of you who, unlike me, waited a little longer to purchase your device. Me? I wanted the SPro2 on day 1. I'm happy with my purchase. If I truly want the extra bump in hardware, I can sell my SPro2, eat the cost, and turn around and buy a new one. In no way do I feel entitled to a free upgrade.

For me I bought mine on 12/30/13 and I now understand that Lot 1351 = the 51st week of 2013 so I bought old stock, so to speak! But even in your case think about this, no one has stated it yet but I haven't heard anyone with the new 4300u having to upgrade their graphics driver and turns off some battery saving features etc. to stop the screen flicker.

My point is simple. I believe the 4300u is not just faster but it is better as maybe speed wasn't the real target of the upgrade.

drolem

Looks to me some people are having some serious issues with sour grapes. Looking at the specs, this is what I see: "4th generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor" (not sure if it was different when the Pro 2 was released, though). I think a 4200 vs 4300 w have less difference in actual usage than in 'psyche'. ;)

eelpout

My point is simple. I believe the 4300u is not just faster but it is better as maybe speed wasn't the real target of the upgrade.
Mmm no... it's just a processor. If they changed any of the supporting chipsets I'd agree with you. I think the issues everyone is having is more related to drivers and firmware. The 4300u is just a slightly higher clocked 4200u with a bit of extra secure instructions. I haven't seen any other reports of OEM's using 4200u's having the same issues. And there are lots of those.

Paul Thurrott's take on the 4300u is pretty sane.

That being all said, when I exchange mine for its video graphics problem next week, do I hope I get the 4300u version? Of course. ;)

Last edited:

godson594

no one has stated it yet but I haven't heard anyone with the new 4300u having to upgrade their graphics driver and turns off some battery saving features etc. to stop the screen flicker.

If this is true, I would want the 4300u more than anything I have heard so far. To me the speed bump isn't going to be real world noticeable but the screen flicker bug has annoyed me within 10 minutes of owning the SP2... I originally almost took it back the same day I bought it because of the adaptive brightness/flicker bug, but I found someone posted the Intel driver work around.

I'm also convinced not everyone's eyes have an issue with the flicker. I can see the flicker in LED Christmas lights, yet my girlfriend cant - it bugs me enough we can't use them. So I bet every single Surface Pro 2 suffers from the flicker it's just not everyone can see it.

MickeyLittle

I went to Best Buy this afternoon since that is where I purchased mine on 12/30. I told them about my dimming screen and the Lot 1351. They looked through all 8 128gb units and had 1 that was Lot 1351 and gladly swapped with me. The rest were 1348 and 1350. I am in the process of re-setting it up now but I will report back as to whether or not I have to apply all the fixes that I had to before to counter the screen dimming effect or not.

And yes this Lot 1351 is definitively running 1.9 on the 4300!:big smile:

scfoster

Do you have the lot # for that one? We should start making a list.

Checking the side of the box - lot 1351.

I have a 256GB unit on order direct from the Microsoft store (wanted the extra space and RAM). Hope that it has the 4300.

Last edited: