Surface Pro 2 and Chrome

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by dreamliner, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

Greetings all,

First time posting. I am considering purchasing the Surface Pro 2 (if I can ever find one) and have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

My eyesight is beginning to get a little worse so I like to go to "personalize" and "display" and type in about 140%. This makes all icons, webpages, fonts, buttons, etc. bigger and easier to see.

I just purchased the Yoga Pro 2, and when I made the display bigger in the above way, all my Chrome extensions were unusable. What I mean is that every extension simply blanked out, unable to display.

When I went back to normal display dpi I could use the extensions normally, but they were teency tiny, as was the URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. Additionally, I had already selected "Enable" in Chrome in the "High Res DPI" option.

So I was left with either nice large readable buttons, fonts, icons, etc. but no extensions, or teency tiny (unreadable) URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. with normal extensions. So, I returned the Yoga Pro 2.

Now I'm considering Surface Pro 2 but wondering if I will have the same issues. Can anyone tell me if they also make the display dpi larger and if Chrome and extensions work normally?

Thank you for any help in advance.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. D1vad

D1vad New Member

tell you what, I'm not a chrome user, but tell me what extension you'd like to see and i'll get you a screen shot...
  3. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

Wow, that is very kind of you, thank you. I use the following extensions: Google Voice, Last Pass, Push to Kindle, Neat Bookmarks, Hola Better Internet, and Yahoo Mail checker. Any of the above would be helpful.

If you don't mind, please tell me also what DPI you are using, if you made the changes as I outlined in my first post.

Thanks much!
  4. D1vad

D1vad New Member

Okay first some differences, (I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2 running Intel graphics driver...

Screenshot (14).png

I've got my screen set for maximum size with out going to a lower resolution.

That is what my Desktop looks like. I loaded Chrome tonight, and was offered an extension launcher for my tray. That white box right after Chrome.

Screenshot (12).png

I believe you wont have an issue with that?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

Can you change the "Custom sizing options" to at least 140% or 150%? I don't need the "Change the size of all items" to be "Larger" as Chrome still worked fine for me when I did that. I need to change it to "custom" and select at least 140% and then see if Chrome and its extensions work.

6. D1vad

D1vad New Member

Sorry but my Surface Pro 2 doesn't appear to have a page where one can adjust the DPI. The closest I can come to that is the first screen shot I posted above where it is on "Recommended" there are two other options besides recommended that make everything smaller.

Screenshot (16).png

and

Screenshot (15).png

Perhaps someone with different drivers or who is smarter than me can share here if they have the DPI setting. Sorry..
  7. Name Taken

Name Taken New Member

You need to select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to set a custom sizing.

[​IMG]
  8. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

Yes, that's it, exactly. Now select 150% and see how your extensions look in Chrome.

9. D1vad

D1vad New Member

I take it you are running the Microsoft Graphic drivers?

I see this;

Screenshot (17).png

and mine will only accept these values,

Screenshot (18).png
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  10. Name Taken

Name Taken New Member

You then press "Custom sizing options".

[​IMG]
  11. oion

oion New Member

The "Custom sizing options" link below 150%...
  12. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

Yes you got it D1vad, now can you just open Chrome and see how that looks to you? Can you still use your Chrome extensions?

13. D1vad

D1vad New Member

That doesn't work for me. I had to reduce the screen resolution in order to change the sizing.

Screenshot (19).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (21).png

that is at 1680 x 1050
  14. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

This looks perfect, thanks for sending it.

D1vad, I want to thank you for going through all this trouble just to check this out for me. It was a lot of work and you are commended for going out of your way. Thank you!

Just one last question: you like your Surface Pro ok? What kinds of uses do you put it through?

I stopped at Best Buy today and played with one and really liked it a lot. I probably would have purchased one but they didn't have the 256 or 512 models, they only had the ones with 4 GB of ram which is not enough.

Thank you again.

Mike

15. dreamliner

dreamliner New Member

Wow, just got my Surface Pro 2 today, and the same exact problem is happening; I cannot use any of my Google Chrome extensions. You guys are showing that your extensions appear properly, when configured the way I have mine, but I don't think you have actually clicked on those extensions. When you actually click on them, they should be entirely transparent and unusable. Can anyone check this? Again we have the "HiDPI" setting in chrome set to: enable. We have the display set to 150% or so. Now just go to chrome and try to actually click on any extension you have. Mine are entirely unusable.