What's new

Surface pro 2 display not flush with body

Fu ngus

I picked up my new sp2 and am liking it very much. However upon close inspection, I've noticed that the bottom right corner where the display meets the body is slightly raised above the edge of the body. The rest of the display including the other 3 corners are perfectly flush with the body.

Is this normal and a design flaw or should I get exchange for another one.

If I decide to keep it, I'm thinking of using a hair-dryer to heat up the adhesive in that area and try to push the glass back in level with the rest of the body. Has anybody tired this?

GoodBytes

manufacturing error. I would return it and get another one, just in case the glass is miss position, and one day, with pressure from your palm on the screen, it might break.

I say don't open it. It's not worth potentially ruining (high percentage) a perfectly fine device, let alone new.

OP
F

Fu ngus

manufacturing error. I would return it and get another one, just in case the glass is miss position, and one day, with pressure from your palm on the screen, it might break.

I say don't open it. It's not worth potentially ruining (high percentage) a perfectly fine device, let alone new.

Even if it's a little bit, less than 1mm above the body?
I certainly don't want the display to crack outside of warranty, that'd be a nightmare.

GoodBytes

Even under warranty. If you don't have Microsoft Complete, they'll think you drop it.
It's probably fine to be honest, but it is an expensive device, so personally, I would not risk it.

OP
F

Fu ngus

I hope jbhfi will allow for an exchange in store. I only bought it a few days ago but the box is opened.

GoodBytes

I don't know this store. I don't know how things work in Australia, but I would push for an exchange as the device has a manufacture error. I would be nice and push them a bit. If that doesn't work, make a scene. It's retarded to do this, but for some managers its the only way to get things, as they want you to stop and leave. Not always, but better have your cards ready.

If it is an online store. I would call them and push them if they refuse at first. Maybe ask their manager or supervisor. If that doesn't work, then pull a what is called at the consumer level: carpet bomb e-mail. That means search every e-mail address, related or not, that you can find from the company. Then find who is the owner(s) of the company, look under LinkedIn for employees there. If you can't find e-mails, but have names, guess their e-mail. For example: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]... And you write a detail e-mail, with pictures, your address, your e-mail address in the letter (in the case they print it, and give it to someone and your e-mail doesn't show), include your phone number as well. Be nice, polite and professional. Calm too. And write full details of what your ordered, when, when you received it (including tracking number or package, and order number), how the device is defective, and say who you talked to, and when (very important), and your case number, detailing the conversation, and how they could not resolve it.

This is the ultimate move. If that doesn't work, go to their social media, and complain, so that all can see. And if that fails, call your local news. They usually starve for local news. So, you'll get your moment to fame, and they'll be so embarrassed, and it will be so very bad publicity for them, they'll move.

More info: http://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb/

And if that fails... small claim court. They have to get a lawyer, which will cost a lot more then your SP2, you don't as its small claims only, so simply filing it to the court, is usually enough for them to replace the device by pleading guilty immediately, the moment they get the court papers. If not, and willing to waste their money, or the owner is willing to fight you. I don't know Australian laws, but here in Canada and U.S, the judge will be: especially that you show that you did the above to contact them and was ignored or they refused, will automatically use common sense and force them to replace your device. PLUS, because they will loose, they'll have to pay the court fees.

OP
F

Fu ngus

I don't know this store. I don't know how things work in Australia, but I would push for an exchange as the device has a manufacture error. I would be nice and push them a bit. If that doesn't work, make a scene. It's retarded to do this, but for some managers its the only way to get things, as they want you to stop and leave. Not always, but better have your cards ready.

If it is an online store. I would call them and push them if they refuse at first. Maybe ask their manager or supervisor. If that doesn't work, then pull a what is called at the consumer level: carpet bomb e-mail. That means search every e-mail address, related or not, that you can find from the company. Then find who is the owner(s) of the company, look under LinkedIn for employees there. If you can't find e-mails, but have names, guess their e-mail. For example: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]... And you write a detail e-mail, with pictures, your address, your e-mail address in the letter (in the case they print it, and give it to someone and your e-mail doesn't show), include your phone number as well. Be nice, polite and professional. Calm too. And write full details of what your ordered, when, when you received it (including tracking number or package, and order number), how the device is defective, and say who you talked to, and when (very important), and your case number, detailing the conversation, and how they could not resolve it.

This is the ultimate move. If that doesn't work, go to their social media, and complain, so that all can see. And if that fails, call your local news. They usually starve for local news. So, you'll get your moment to fame, and they'll be so embarrassed, and it will be so very bad publicity for them, they'll move.

More info: http://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb/

And if that fails... small claim court. They have to get a lawyer, which will cost a lot more then your SP2, you don't as its small claims only, so simply filing it to the court, is usually enough for them to replace the device by pleading guilty immediately, the moment they get the court papers. If not, and willing to waste their money, or the owner is willing to fight you. I don't know Australian laws, but here in Canada and U.S, the judge will be: especially that you show that you did the above to contact them and was ignored or they refused, will automatically use common sense and force them to replace your device. PLUS, because they will loose, they'll have to pay the court fees.

Thanks for your detail response. I bought it from a local franchiser store. If they won't give me an exchange or refund, I'll probably will just leave cos it's just not worth the time. I remember purchasing an Asus laptop and took more than 7 months for them to finally give me a refund?
I remember posting my negative feedback on the Asus Facebook page and and nobody responded.

The one thing I hate is turning up to the store and having to explain the issue to the staff , only to be told that I'm being extremely fussy about such minor things. I get embarrassed easily and don't want to cause a public scene.

And since the sp2 doesn't suffer from any other issues like back light bleeding and stuck pixels, I afraid the replacement will have more issues thus the cycle of exchanging for another one continues. I really don't know if I should.

Maybe I should just use the hair-dryer method and fix the issue myself.

OP
F

Fu ngus

The is a picture I found on the internet that is somewhat similar to my sp2 but less severe. The screen on mine is raised higher in the corner.

Notice how from from the left corner, the edge of the display is flush and gradually raises upon reaches the other side. (right corner)

Attachments

• 20131104044110_surface-pro-2-4.jpg
    20131104044110_surface-pro-2-4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 642