What's new

surface pro 2 kick stand positions

Deihmos

Is the kickstand the same on the Surface Pro 2 as the first version? The Pro 2 first position seems to be much further than the Pro 1.

Dim-Ize

The original Pro and RT had a single position while the newer Surface and Surface Pro 2 have two position angles.

OP
D

Deihmos

I know it has 2 positions on the surface pro 2. The first position seems a little further back than the first surface pro.

Garyjk

not really sure on this, but I believe the pro was angled at 26 degrees and I believe the pro2 may at be 22 degrees.

kevinlevrone

The kickstand of the Surface was a great marketing gimmick, but if you care about your tablet, you will buy a case, and many of the cases will cancel the included kickstand and offer multiple tilting angles. I have the MoKo Slim case and I did not use the included kickstand except once, to see that it works.

bluegrass

The kickstand of the Surface was a great marketing gimmick, but if you care about your tablet, you will buy a case, and many of the cases will cancel the included kickstand and offer multiple tilting angles. I have the MoKo Slim case and I did not use the included kickstand except once, to see that it works.

I love my Surface Pro, RT, & Surface Pro2 and don't plan on ever adding a case with a built in kickstand. I like it naked and slip in a case when I take someplace. It's all a matter of preferences. It's frequent that people don't think the same. Not that ones right and one is wrong. I do take a little offense to the statement that if you love your Surface you will buy a case to use it in. I dislike screen protectors for my Surface too.

GoodBytes

No this is not true. I don't have a case with my Surface Pro 2, beside a sleeve to protect it in my bag. Cases for the Surface Pro 1/2 are crap. They are made for other tablets cheaper tried to be adapted for the Surface product, which leads to blocking air flow, or scratching the device, or block it to use as a tablet, or limits your angles. The exception, is the Kickstarter project (funded) FreedomCase, which a passionate person about his Surface Pro, that lead him to make this case.

kundas1

Totally disagree, all the case ends up doing is keeping the heat in, blocking the stand which works fantastic btw, and making the device heavier and more cumbersome... so no, not a gimmick at Al! Cases suck for the Surface no offence to anyone else who thinks cases are great. I use the stand ALL THE TIME and find it very useful which is why I bought the Surface in the first place it was the ONLY tablet with this great idea. I used to LOVE my HTC HD7 phone because it had a kick stand and it was win7 also. I think all tablets should adapt to the Surface stand and why they don't is stupid and short sighted IMO.

Philtastic

I've never understood cases for tablets (and phones for men, at least, who don't have to put it in a purse). You have this nice shiny device with a great finish that looks amazing... and then you're going to lock it away to preserve it while not enjoying said finish nor possibly the kickstand for what? So that, when you're done with the device, you can take one last look at it? Maybe so that you can sell your obsolete device for slightly more than you could have if it had a few scratches?

I can maybe see it justified for people who are just absolutely clumsy and will nick it and bash it all over the place but, for the average user, cases are just a way of extracting another $10-40 from you.

kevinlevrone

I love my Surface Pro, RT, & Surface Pro2 and don't plan on ever adding a case with a built in kickstand. I like it naked and slip in a case when I take someplace. It's all a matter of preferences. It's frequent that people don't think the same. Not that ones right and one is wrong. I do take a little offense to the statement that if you love your Surface you will buy a case to use it in. I dislike screen protectors for my Surface too.

No this is not true. I don't have a case with my Surface Pro 2, beside a sleeve to protect it in my bag. Cases for the Surface Pro 1/2 are crap. They are made for other tablets cheaper tried to be adapted for the Surface product, which leads to blocking air flow, or scratching the device, or block it to use as a tablet, or limits your angles. The exception, is the Kickstarter project (funded) FreedomCase, which a passionate person about his Surface Pro, that lead him to make this case.

Totally disagree, all the case ends up doing is keeping the heat in, blocking the stand which works fantastic btw, and making the device heavier and more cumbersome... so no, not a gimmick at Al! Cases suck for the Surface no offence to anyone else who thinks cases are great. I use the stand ALL THE TIME and find it very useful which is why I bought the Surface in the first place it was the ONLY tablet with this great idea. I used to LOVE my HTC HD7 phone because it had a kick stand and it was win7 also. I think all tablets should adapt to the Surface stand and why they don't is stupid and short sighted IMO.

I've never understood cases for tablets (and phones for men, at least, who don't have to put it in a purse). You have this nice shiny device with a great finish that looks amazing... and then you're going to lock it away to preserve it while not enjoying said finish nor possibly the kickstand for what? So that, when you're done with the device, you can take one last look at it? Maybe so that you can sell your obsolete device for slightly more than you could have if it had a few scratches?

I can maybe see it justified for people who are just absolutely clumsy and will nick it and bash it all over the place but, for the average user, cases are just a way of extracting another $10-40 from you.

Well, it's quite simple and I shouldn't even explain it, but generally people like to protect their belongings and keep them looking and functioning like new. Not sure why this is, human nature perhaps, that's why you use a moisturizing face cream, for example. Using a case decreases the risk of living with a scratched or dinged or otherwise cosmetically defective device for years, and also increases the resale value of the product when the time comes. I suffer a lot when I get scratches or dings on my electronic devices knowing that I have to live with them for maybe years. Spending $30 on a $1500 device that I am planning to keep for at least 2 years, in order to greatly decrease the chance that a nasty scratch will stare at me and bug me for all this time, seems like a no brainer to me. But really, I don't think this should even be explained.

Now back to the Surface/Pro cases and kickstands, I would highly recommend the MoKo Slim case for the Surface Pro (you can find it on Amazon). It only attaches to the corners of the tablet keeping its sides exposed for better looks and easy access, it offers more viewing angles compared to the factory kickstand (at least 4 angles), and is an almost perfectly designed case. For a Surface Pro (not 2) which only has one kickstand position which is at a pretty narrow angle, such a case should be a must.

OP
D

Deihmos

I can't see myself adding a case.