What's new

Surface pro 2 or Pro 3?

MittWaffen

So i'm looking for a portable unit to bring to classes and take notes, sometimes some photo editing for websites and typing of documents. I may play a indie game or low end game like minecraft/starcraft rarely aswell.

Now I have a deal for a SP2 with type cover and dock for 550 the 128gb version.
A new SP3 is atleast 1100 for the same size, 64gb is way too small.

I heared about throttling on the SP3, so performance when you push the system hard is basically a downgrade.
But i've heard about SP2 wifi issues, and SOD problems....

What would you do in my position, 550 is a decent deal but the catch is its out of warranty.
Advice?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This sound mostly like a financial decision. If the price is not an issue go with the SP3. Hopefully there's a return option if the SP2 doesn't check out fully upon receipt unless you have the option to verify it before making the purchase. I don't often recommend an SP2 but in your case it makes sense at the price assuming functionality and price are the most important factors.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Its a good price, but it used....I personally found the SP2 too chunky and resolution and aspect ratio too limiting for inking, the SP3 is my dream Tablet PC....

daniielrp

Having had the SP2, and now the SP3 - it is no contest. There is not a single thing that isn't improved by the SP3.
Let's look at the points you've mentioned:

bring to classes - the weight and thinnest are much improved with the SP3.
take notes - the SP3 has IMO much better pen that feels much nicer to hold, better keyboard and trackpad.
photo editing - bigger screen makes this easier!
typing of documents - as above a better keyboard!
play a indie game or low end game - both are capable, but again they look better on a bigger screen.

Now you mention the i3 - is storage the only issue? The i3 model itself is perfectly fast enough (and honestly, much more powerful than you need) for the above uses. Storage can easily be expanded by the micro SD and USB 3 port which provides more than enough bandwidth for programs to run from and even play games from.

malberttoo

Having had the SP2, and now the SP3 - it is no contest. There is not a single thing that isn't improved by the SP3.
Let's look at the points you've mentioned:

bring to classes - the weight and thinnest are much improved with the SP3.
take notes - the SP3 has IMO much better pen that feels much nicer to hold, better keyboard and trackpad.
photo editing - bigger screen makes this easier!
typing of documents - as above a better keyboard!
play a indie game or low end game - both are capable, but again they look better on a bigger screen.

Now you mention the i3 - is storage the only issue? The i3 model itself is perfectly fast enough (and honestly, much more powerful than you need) for the above uses. Storage can easily be expanded by the micro SD and USB 3 port which provides more than enough bandwidth for programs to run from and even play games from.

Great summary! Completely agree.

ptrkhh

If you don't have a specific need for i5, I would totally recommend the i3. Its fanless 99% of the time, silent.

I had my SP3 playing 4K video from 2 apps side by side while plugged in, and the fan didn't run at all after half an hour.
On the other hand, the i5/i7 couldn't hold the silence for more than 10 minutes, with just one video, and it was just 1080p.
Are people exaggerating loud fan noise?

If you have any hesitation about the i3 model, check the link in my sig below. You can as well ask me if you have questions.

I used the sp2 extensively and loved it, IMO its better for gaming due to better cooling. Overall though I prefer the sp3 and I do slightly less gaming on it. I find the keyboard is better for the sp3, thinness, weight, screen size is perfect, KICKSTAND is much better than the sp2... I also have the I-3 and along with a 64g micro sd card( music-photos-movies-documents stored here) I have plenty of space for what Im doing. The biggest program I have installed is photoshop and I have several games from the app store installed and still have 20 gig on the internal storage unused. Speed wise I cant tell any real difference between the I-5 and I-3 (real world use)