What's new

Surface Pro 2 vs Surface 3

revmike

I'm still using my "old" surface pro 2, it is not my main computer, I have a desktop for that, but the sp2 is used for email and the surfing internet and for teaching on Sundays when I have the opportunity to preach. I use Microsoft office and format my text into a pdf to view with adobe reader touch. I'm considering moving up to the surface 3, based on the screen size and the 3 to 2 ratio. I've found that 12" is just too big for me to use in tablet mode comfortably. My question is to those who have moved from the sp2 to the s3, is the performance equal, less or better than the sp2? Thanks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The S3 will be significantly slower. If the size wasn't so darn convenient, I wouldn't keep my S3, it is that slow imo.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Surface 3 is just slow enough to make you wish it was faster. If you previously used a Surface RT or Surface 2 it's much faster than an RT and a little faster than S2. It's a good bit slower than a Pro.

This is why there should be a Core-M Surface non pro with a real SSD in the 699-729 price range. or just be gracious about it and lower the prices by 100 on Surface non Pro models to 399, 499 Atom 4gb/128, 599 core-m3. :) Supposedly they're afraid of cannibalizing Pro sales, and wont make a core-m non Pro, but why would you ever be afraid of smashing success? They would actually end up selling more Pro's.

kojack

I find our 2 surface 3s quite speedy. Just as fast as my HP touchsmart 520 was. That was plenty fast for everything we were doing. No issues with speed here.

OP
R

revmike

Ordered Surface 3 4gb ram 128gb from Costco.com. It came with the stylus and keyboard, plus a year of Microsoft Office for 600.00. Ordered on Nov 20, received it on Nov 30 and sent it back today, due to a hardware issue. The screen would not stay on unless you were interacting with the screen, stopping for over a minute and the screen would go blank no matter what setting you had for it to sleep, even plugged in and set not to turn off display it would go off. Two resets later and still the same so off it went back to Costco for a replacement. I was able to judge between my sp2 and the surface 3 in regards to performance, and although the 3 is slower, I do like the screen and aspect ratio. So we will see if the replacement is a keeper.