What's new

Surface Pro 2017 w Toshiba SSD

HTee

Bought a SP2017 yesterday and it had really bad light bleed so i exchanged for another today. Better screen but to my surprise it had a terribly slow Toshiba SsD in it rather than the Samsung. I thought only surface laptop was using that Toshiba drive. Anyway to tell by looking at the box before buying? This one was lot 1730.

I5/8gb/256

OP
H

HTee

How do you tell if it's terribly slow?
Run a speed test with CrystalMark. The Toshiba only does about 500MB read and 200 write while the Samsung does about 1800MB read and 900MB write. Totally unacceptable in my opinion for Microsoft to use two different drives with such a huge variation. Moving large files around on the Samsung that would take say 3mins would take about 10mins on the Toshiba. Big difference.

OP
H

HTee

I’m done with these things for a while. 3 different surfaces and all with there own issues. So disappointed right now. I’ve owned every single surface pro since the original and this is the only one with so many darn quality issues. I know the SSD isn’t considered a defect but c’mon! You can’t put a drive in there that’s 3 times slower than one you’re putting in other units. If someone can please find a lot # newer than 1730 let me know the number and if it has a Samsung SSD in it. Thanks!!

Here's my latest SSD bench on the samsung with just over a terabyte of reads and writes:

Untitled.jpg

OP
H

HTee

I would, just concerned about battery since it has the fans. What’s your experience thus far?

I use it lightly so I get 7-8 hours before it reaches less than 7%. I always game plugged-in so I never experienced how bad it is when gaming. I don't have a chance to go to Microsoft store soon though to check some SSD benches myself on various models there.

It would be good if you can bring the portable version of crystal disk mark just to test some i5 models there just in case if you need to stick with the fanless design.

tuchas

I just bought the same model as yours. Samsung drive. Fast as heck and perfect for what I need.