What's new

Surface Pro 3 and Chromecast

Ross84

Hi all I am new to this forum and am seeking some advice.

When streaming to Chromecast if I place the pro 3 into sleep mode the video and audio becomes jerky or stops. I take it sleep mode is effectively killing the streaming process. When I stream BBC iplayer though, and enter sleep mode, the video remains smooth with no problems.

Is there a way of overcoming the problem with streaming to Chromecast when in sleep mode? I also have an amazon prime account and can only get a smooth stream when the pro 3 is awake.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide me.

Ross

agt499

Hi -I can't comment on the Amazon/BBC in particular, but I understand that Metro/Modern apps can remain active for network activites when asleep, but Desktop apps can't.
I have encountered this with Bluetooth devices as well - audio from Desktop apps dies on sleep, but is OK with Metro/Modern.
Is the iplayer (which sounds like it works OK) a Metro/Modern app?

Alucardi

I have same issue on SP2, i usually start a spotify playlist mute sound in spotify and let it run. This way it wont go to sleep and i dont have to change the setting on the pc.

OP
R

Ross84

All the video content is being run from the chrome browser and then I just cast the tab. I don't understand why it works for one but none of the others.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disclaimer: I don't use Chrome or chromecast, I live in a Chrome Free Zone.
Have you applied all Windows Updates?

OP
R

Ross84

I regularly install updates so I don't think it is that. If I try the same thing but using a laptop I cast the tab, close the lid and the video is smooth no matter what I am trying to cast.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I regularly install updates so I don't think it is that. If I try the same thing but using a laptop I cast the tab, close the lid and the video is smooth no matter what I am trying to cast.

You can't really compare a laptop to the surface when it comes to how they manage sleep etc. CS can be a blessing and a curse.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about router updates? Since you see the same on an SP2 which doesn't have CS.

Or maybe that wouldn't matter IF Chromecast is direct from device to device, I don't know.

Nothing from Google works well with anything from MS, it's like they go out of their way to foul things up. :)

zhenya

The SP should not be able to sleep if a tab in Chrome is active. What I would suspect is happening is that iPlayer is designed to hand off the stream directly to the Chromecast without really involving the Chrome tab once the stream is active, whereas other sites have not chosen to support this method of handoff and are actually streaming the content of the tab. Full handoff is how the Chromecast is intended to be used, but screen-casting through Chrome is a work-around they've offered to make streaming other kinds of content possible.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ross84

Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like there is not much I can do. If I was to use miracast would that remedy the problem?