What's new

Surface Pro 3 and MicroSDXC

Hi all,

I just ordered the Surface Pro 3 and I am super excited!

I ended up getting the i5/256GB version, because I can't afford the 512GB version. However, between my videos, music, pictures and other media I have almost 500 GB of files. Now I know there's no simple way to upgrade my SP3's hard drive, so I'm considering other options, naturally MicroSDXC. I'm considering buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memor...UTF8&qid=1420501502&sr=8-5&keywords=microsdxc

However I'm not sure how a MicroSDXC card integrates with Windows. Is it simply considered "external storage", like how a USB flash drive works, where I have to manually move files there (I hope not)? Or, does it integrate more smoothly where, if my hard drive starts to get full, files start moving to the MicroSDXC automatically? For example, if I have 300GB in my online OneDrive and I install it to my new SP3, will 256GB download to my SP3 hard drive and the other 44GB download to the MicroSDXC? How does this work exactly?

Thanks for the explanations!
Ethan

talon90

Hi Ethan,

Congratulations on your new SP3 and welcome to the forum. The MicroSD card is nothing more than non-volatile removable storage like a USB flash drive. It plugs in to a slot on the back of the surface (under the kickstand) and is treated by Windows like a hard drive. While I would imagine that there are utilities that can be installed that may automate or semi-automate the use of the media for backup or overflow, it isn't natively treated that way. By the same token, they are small and relatively inexpensive considering their size and utility, you could consider having more than one and keep the additional files on them and swap as needed. They are easy to change and Windows will simply read the new card when it is inserted.

Paul

nipponham

It won't automatically allocate downloaded content to different drives if you're running out of space, but of course you will get a warning that you don't have enough capacity to download before you even start the download. What you can do is to move your libraries so they are located on your Micro SD as default.

abc

What you can do is to move your libraries so they are located on your Micro SD as default.

Great idea. What is the best way to do that?

kristalsoldier

Check out this article on how to mount it to your existing C drive, and have it integrate into your existing filestructure seemlessly.

http://southpawprints.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/surface-pro-windows-8-and-a-micro-sd-card/

I just did it for my Dropbox account; works a charm. Good luck!

Wasn't there a simpler way to do this with W8.1? Also, what if I want to replace the current card with another one - say, with a higher storage? Does the entire process have to be first reversed? Or, do I just remove the current card, insert the new card and do this process again? Thanks in advance.

nipponham

I checked out that link and I suppose those instructions work. One caveat is that you're integrating the MicroSD with the system so you'll never be able to eject that card or swap it out.

Perhaps an easier and more flexible way to move your libraries would be to go in to PC settings> PC and Device> Device, and at the very bottom you'll see the option to set the default location for your libraries. This only moves documents, pictures and videos. If you want to move the download folder as well, you'll have to its directory and manually move it by going into properties.

kristalsoldier

I checked out that link and I suppose those instructions work. One caveat is that you're integrating the MicroSD with the system so you'll never be able to eject that card or swap it out.

Perhaps an easier and more flexible way to move your libraries would be to go in to PC settings> PC and Device> Device, and at the very bottom you'll see the option to set the default location for your libraries. This only moves documents, pictures and videos. If you want to move the download folder as well, you'll have to its directory and manually move it by going into properties.

Thanks. On my SP3, I can only save Music, Videos and Pictures to the SD card by doing what you mentioned, but NOT documents.

More importantly, however, the questions are (1) how to save the OneDrive folder containing the placeholders to the SD card and (2) how to direct ALL downloads (except for apps and programs) to the SD card?

Edit: I am thinking about this (again!) because I want to install a 128GB MicroSD card and forget about the whole matter till I have to replace the SP3 in due course.

mcsenerd

I was able to relocate my Documents library to the SD Card without issue...

upload_2015-1-5_22-9-20.png

ChrisPanzer

If you want to store your Dropbox onto the sdcard (as wel as onedrive files) then I believe you have to do my method (mounting as virtual drive).

The simple method of changing libraries etc will NOT work.