What's new

Surface Pro 3 and MicroSDXC

olimjj

Thanks. How did you do this? Right-click on the target folder (in this case the Documents folder)?
The answer is yes. I had also done this with my original SP1, albeit with the 64GB mSDxc card. As @mcsenerd indicated and illustrated in his post, go to File Explorer ,This PC. Right click on Documents, Properties, Location , type in your path, choose Move.

kristalsoldier

If you want to store your Dropbox onto the sdcard (as wel as onedrive files) then I believe you have to do my method (mounting as virtual drive).

The simple method of changing libraries etc will NOT work.

Yes, I remember having done this when I originally installed the card that is in my SP3 at the moment.

nipponham

If you want to store your Dropbox onto the sdcard (as wel as onedrive files) then I believe you have to do my method (mounting as virtual drive).

The simple method of changing libraries etc will NOT work.
Not true. You can simply go into the properties section and select location to move to an external drive (as per mcscnerd's post) without having to mount anything. This goes for both OneDrive and Dropbox.

ChrisPanzer

Not true. You can simply go into the properties section and select location to move to an external drive (as per mcscnerd's post) without having to mount anything. This goes for both OneDrive and Dropbox.
No, I do not believe such is the case with Dropbox. When you attempt to point destination folder to an external drive, it brings up an error saying it cannot be done. This has happened to me before. There is no "properties" section in Dropbox, there is a preferences menu with a few clickable options, but nothing that gives an option for external drive utilization.

OneDrive I assumed same was the case, but that may not be correct.

nipponham

Then I must be special because that's how I have my Dropbox folder set - to save to the external D drive.

mcsenerd

Yep... I keep my OneDrive folder on the SD Card too (although it's getting too big for its own britches these days)... the same way:
upload_2015-1-5_23-56-26.png

(Way off topic I know...) What's the real kicker is that this is nigh impossible to pull of on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite and the latest version of OneDrive... Disappointing too, because that's how I like to run all of my machines (keep all docs and data on an SD Card that never leaves unless I have to replace the computer for some reason). I know I'm ridiculous, but I have to use it all so I stay current everywhere.

mcsenerd

I think I do remember DropBox being a pain in the arse... I agree that the VHD method will work, but I'm pretty certain that I've had it work with an NTFS Junction as well.

If you want to get it accomplished without a trip to the command line, I think this guy's program will handle it for you:

http://satyadeepk.in/dropbox-folder-sync/

nipponham

From Dropbox's website
If you want to put your Dropbox folder on an external drive, proceed with caution:
  • The Dropbox folder must be available when your computer boots and before the Dropbox desktop application starts. Some USB drives, for example, take some time to mount before your computer recognizes them. The Dropbox desktop application could start before such a drive is ready and get confused. You'll receive an error and Dropbox will give you the opportunity to relink your Dropbox account or exit if it is unable to find your Dropbox folder.
  • If the external drive is disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running, there's a small chance that the application will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed. Again: When it comes to using an external drive for your Dropbox folder, tread carefully.

kristalsoldier

No, I do not believe such is the case with Dropbox. When you attempt to point destination folder to an external drive, it brings up an error saying it cannot be done. This has happened to me before. There is no "properties" section in Dropbox, there is a preferences menu with a few clickable options, but nothing that gives an option for external drive utilization.

OneDrive I assumed same was the case, but that may not be correct.

Actually, I think @nipponham and @mcsenerd are correct. The method that you are referring to and what I remember was for Win 8. This was, if I am not mistaken, changed in 8.1 (I remember this because this is what I did with my Surface 1 and 2 RT).

The question remains, however, can I just remove the current card and reinsert the new card and do what @mcsenerd has described? If yes, then it is damn cool because I will go and buy a 128GB MicroSD card today and just put the matter out of my mind!

nipponham

Depends on what you have on your current card. As long as it doesn't have any system files or program data, you can do a simple swap.

kristalsoldier

Depends on what you have on your current card. As long as it doesn't have any system files or program data, you can do a simple swap.

Nopes...only the Libraries, the OneDrive files (mapped in the way that @mcsenerd has indicated), and other sundry stand-alone files etc. I have asked for pictures, videos and music to be directly downloaded to the card too through PC Settings.