What's new

Surface Pro 3 and MicroSDXC

nipponham

Libraries and OneDrive are part of the system! You'll have to move them back to their default location in C: and then move them to the new external drive.

nipponham

Also wanted to add that you probably want to turn Bitlocker on and encrypt your MicroSD seeing how its removable, especially if you're going to have documents on it. Right click on the drive and you should see a shell option to enable it.

ChrisPanzer

Actually, I think @nipponham and @mcsenerd are correct. The method that you are referring to and what I remember was for Win 8. This was, if I am not mistaken, changed in 8.1 (I remember this because this is what I did with my Surface 1 and 2 RT).

The question remains, however, can I just remove the current card and reinsert the new card and do what @mcsenerd has described? If yes, then it is damn cool because I will go and buy a 128GB MicroSD card today and just put the matter out of my mind!
Well, I'd like to see this first-hand then, because this is not a windows issue; it is a Dropbox controlled error, as it is the deopbox app that will not let u install on a removable drive!!

nipponham

I stand corrected. You cannot move the Dropbox folder to an SD card (as is), but it can be moved to an external drive like I have.

To get around this, you can mount the SD card as ChrisPanzer had suggested so it's recognized as a permanent drive, or you can move the Dropbox folder to the SD card and create symbolic links to the folder's original location. Another option would be to move the Dropbox folder to Documents (or any library folder), and then move that library to the SD card.

ChrisPanzer

I stand corrected. You cannot move the Dropbox folder to an SD card (as is), but it can be moved to an external drive like I have.

To get around this, you can mount the SD card as ChrisPanzer had suggested so it's recognized as a permanent drive, or you can move the Dropbox folder to the SD card and create symbolic links to the folder's original location. Another option would be to move the Dropbox folder to Documents (or any library folder), and then move that library to the SD card.

:D:D:D

mcsenerd

Not to get off-topic too much or anything, but is there really any compelling reason not to prefer OneDrive over DropBox at this point? 2GB file size limitation? Is there something else?

nipponham

I’m just a longtime Dropbox user who sees no need to migrate to OneDrive. Besides, my company restricts access to cloud services for security reasons, but haven’t done so for Dropbox (yet), go figure.

ChrisPanzer

I have 1 TB with Dropbox, and find its integration, UI, and ease of use, combined with the length of time I've already been using it, makes it a match made in heaven. Also, the universal compatibility with my various I-fevices makes it a perfect fit.

Liam2349

By all means get the SD card, but I wouldn't try to store all of your files on your portable computer. I have about 3TB of files on several disks, and keep only what I need on my Surface, which is far less than 3TB.

Most of what I use is kept connected to my gaming rig, and the Surface has all of my documents stored locally through OneDrive. I see it as being about prioritizing - I don't need a few hundred gigs of movies stored on my Surface, but I do need access to my documents. Figure out what you do and don't need on demand, and you should be able to make things work.

ptrkhh

Is there a caching program for the SD card?
For example, 500MB cache of the SD card on the SSD. Something like how SSHD works. That would hugely boost the speed.
I tried PrimoCache but it crashed the whole SP3 every few minutes.