What's new

Surface Pro 3 and Torrents

josh4469

Hey guys I have the 256 8 gig pro 3 and I am wanting to know how does everyone download torrents when, once the screen goes off the torrent stops? I have tried using a couple of metro torrent apps but they are pretty bad. Surely I can not be the only person with this problem?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The topic has been discussed, typically the solution is to disable sleep while plugged in by adjusting the power settings....

OP
J

josh4469

I have read that previously but does this not impact the screen? I thought it was bad leaving the screen on for hours on end?

kundas1

yea set a screen saver when plugged in, and stay away form the MUI torrents... that's what I do...

nipponham

Screen burn-in issues only affect phosphor-based displays (like plasma), so you really don't need a screen saver for SP3 which uses a LCD display.

AllTaken

Screen burn-in issues only affect phosphor-based displays (like plasma), so you really don't need a screen saver for SP3 which uses a LCD display.
Is it possible to experience image retention if we leave our torrent client etc open for hours statically displayed? I know LG LED displays on my previous retina Macbooks have suffered this issue.

Does the surface display have image retention/could it develop image retention if left for hours without a screensaver?

nipponham

Is it possible to experience image retention if we leave our torrent client etc open for hours statically displayed? I know LG LED displays on my previous retina Macbooks have suffered this issue.

Does the surface display have image retention/could it develop image retention if left for hours without a screensaver?
Although it's not possible to burn in images to an LCD display, image persistence, (however unlikely), is not. You have to be really trying to make it persist on screen, and even then it's difficult with modern LCDs. And let's say you do manage to get image persistence; it's never permanent like a burn-in is. You can just "rest" the screen for some time to get the LC molecules to relax, or display a plain white image to "reset" the screen.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using a screen saver; I use one myself. I'm just saying it's redundant with an LCD display, (or LED for that matter.) Kind of like wearing a helmet while driving a car.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. Having read all this, i'm now wondering what caused the big issue of permanent burn in an LCD tv i bought about 5 years ago. It was bad enough to make watching films rather irritating at times.