What's new

Surface Pro 3 annoyance: screen auto rotation doesn't work any more.

mmo

I had to learn today, that my Surface Pro 3's auto-rotate function doesn't work any more.

During meetings (while inking) I prefer to have it in portrait mode (like a sheet of paper), at my desk I use it in landscape mode.
But since today it doesn't flip any more when turning the device. I have set the rotation-lock on and off a few times, I disabled and re-enabled the "Allow screen to auto-rotate" (in display settings) several times. I even rebooted twice already. Nothing seems to help!

Any idea anyone, what else I could try? How/why can this suddenly seize to work?
I *hate* such (hopefully temporary!) sudden degradations of functionality...

Later edit: After another reboot I just noticed, that the Rotation-lock button in the swipe-in menu is grayed out. ||-(

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which Intel Video Driver are you using? If you are using the Intel Reference Driver this can happen.

OP
M

mmo

I just did a quick test re. my reboot issue (another thread).

For that I quickly removed an inserted SD card. And - I know this sounds absolutely crazy - right after removing the SD card the screen rotation suddenly worked again!
I am totally baffled! No clue, how this could have any connection but it obviously had!

ScottyS

I've read both your threads and this is weird.
Having a mSD card in is a well known issue causing re-installation of Windows to hang, and I can see how it may cause an issue during booting (thanks to good advice from @leeshor) ... but affecting auto rotate?!?

Do you have another mSD card to try? To see if it's just that card.

OP
M

mmo

I've read both your threads and this is weird.
Having a mSD card in is a well known issue causing re-installation of Windows to hang, and I can see how it may cause an issue during booting (thanks to good advice from @leeshor) ... but affecting auto rotate?!?

Do you have another mSD card to try? To see if it's just that card.
Nope - unfortunately I don't have another.

The strange thing is: meanwhile I re-inserted the SD card again and neither of both hiccups (the reboot hang nor the rotation lock) have reappeared!

Computers are sometimes really odd creatures! (Sigh...) :rolleyes: