What's new

Surface Pro 3 Battery Drop

Nelson Brown

Hello I have had my Surface Pro 3 for about a month now, purchased just before Christmas and the battery drops from 100 to 93? I have used down to 0% and charged to 100% but still keeps happening, any thoughts? thank you

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

How long does it take to get to 93%. I'm not certain I fully understand the problem

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Umm perhaps the OP is referring to the Overcharge protection feature where once the battery charges to 100% it quits charging until it drops to 93% then begins charging again which is 'normal' behavior.

OP
N

Nelson Brown

Hi it takes about 2-3 minutes to drop to 93% , I ,called Microsoft support and was told could be just a battery fault and am taking it back where I bought it to swap over for another unit thank you for your replies though, the woman at Microsoft did not have any idea why this was happening

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if you open Task Manager do you have constantly running tasks using maybe 20-30% cpu??? That could explain what your seeing. Do you have a Docking station and this occurs while docked? There are updates that are supposed to fix that.

kristalsoldier

On a related note, I notice that after the most recent firmware update, my SP3 is not as battery-efficient as before. I will keep an eye on this and try to quantify it a bit.

OP
N

Nelson Brown

I got my surface pro 3 swapped over for A new model and the battery is great!! Turns out mine was just a fault battery but for others firmware updates may do it I guess