What's new

Surface Pro 3 Battery Report: Full Charge Capacity at 23,324!

ChrisPanzer

Hi,

Ran a powercfg /batteryreport this morning, and to my horror, my stats are:

Design Capacity: 42,157
Full Charge Capacity: 23,234

I've had my SP3 for about 11 months. I have the i5/8/256GB version. The battery drains at about 1%/minute. I only get about 2 hours of regular use per charge.

What should I do? Would a restore help? Should I take to an MS Store?? It was purchased at Best Buy, and I did not buy any sort of 3rd party warranty or extended warranty...

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
That does not sound right at all. My 14 month old i7 still gives about 5-6 hours battery life with regular use. Is your fan blowing a lot however? It could be a software issue causing high useage, check out your task manager to see if anything is using the system at a high rate.

As you've had it 11 months you should still be within the 1 year warranty. Sign into Microsoft account and ask for help there.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

That does not sound right at all. My 14 month old i7 still gives about 5-6 hours battery life with regular use. Is your fan blowing a lot however? It could be a software issue causing high useage, check out your task manager to see if anything is using the system at a high rate.

As you've had it 11 months you should still be within the 1 year warranty. Sign into Microsoft account and ask for help there.
Yes, I think something is askew as well..

I will do that sign-in with MS, but I think one of the first things they will instruct me to do is to reset/restore my system. I have a ton of custom things installed on my system (shortcut keys, browser addons, custom softwares for work, etc) and I really don't want to go through that...

With regards to the capacity, is this reversible or I will never this mW back??

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea re the capacity. I haven't actually run battery report on mine for a while.

Are you running Win 10? All firmware updates?

What antivirus are you using? I found to my surprise that bitdefender caused a big issue with my i7 getting hot early on in my ownership I use windows defender now with no issues. It still blows the fan when downloading updates etc but in normal use it's quiet and cool.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I have no idea re the capacity. I haven't actually run battery report on mine for a while.

Are you running Win 10? All firmware updates?

What antivirus are you using? I found to my surprise that bitdefender caused a big issue with my i7 getting hot early on in my ownership I use windows defender now with no issues. It still blows the fan when downloading updates etc but in normal use it's quiet and cool.
Yep, running Win10, all updates, running Windows Defender as my sole AV...

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm If win 10 generally seems ok (no missing bits or issues with the OS in general) then it must be something else running. Have you checked out tasks? @GreyFox7 seems to be having an issue with Cortana using system resources.

If there is a general OS issue maybe try the sfc \scannow (I think that's it) it solved an issue with my SP3 when installed win 10 though it was a different kind of issue than you're having. I couldn't get the touch pad login up when I started up the SP3 - it was a corrupt windows file causing the problem that sfc solved - I didn't ahve to reset.

Neko

batt.PNG

mine is also about 11 months old but the battery became better by the time! Running Win10 insider build.
I would bring it to service with such a bad battery after only less than a year!

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Thanks guys, should I take it to a MS store?

It also discharges at 1%/per minute. I get about 1-2 hours on a full charge of regular usage (browsing, PDF's, copying files, etc). Been like this for so long I just sort of figured 'that's the way it is i guess !'!

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Now, what could have caused this? I have been using a few after-market compatible chargers, however, and a high-capacity portable charger with various voltage/watt settings... But these all claim to be fully compatible with the SP3... Could any of them have been the culprit?