What's new

Surface Pro 3 Battery Report: Full Charge Capacity at 23,324!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't know to be honest, I've only ever used mine with the original charger and generally let it run down before recharging it (not intentionally just the way I use it I don't actually plug it in very much unless I'm relying on it at a Disco gig when it's playing lighting controller, then it's plugged in the whole time .

This is mine at 14 months old - a lot less cycles than yours however!! My SP3 is not used daily.

EDIT : just realise the previous screen shot was not yours and a 435 cycles was still giving good performance

upload_2015-11-1_12-58-39.png

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Interesting... See, the thing of it with mine is that I use it on a daily basis in a dock at the office - sometimes it's there for 8-9 hours charging, at 100%. Would be nice if they designed a 'smart' battery to refuse a charge if the PC determines it may be detrimental to the device...

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting... See, the thing of it with mine is that I use it on a daily basis in a dock at the office - sometimes it's there for 8-9 hours charging, at 100%. Would be nice if they designed a 'smart' battery to refuse a charge if the PC determines it may be detrimental to the device...

I would have thought that the dock should do that. I've never used my SP3 in a dock, but at work we have Lenovo laptops that are docked all the time, mine often says "plugged in not charging" when on the dock.

Mind you going back on what I said earlier, looking at the battery report for the last month it is registering an average of about 4 and a half hours, which is a bit less than I thought of 5-6. However that may be because I switched to win 10 whcih did cause some issues and possibly still does with sleep etc, and also I now use google Chrome more than Edge browser. Edge is good and probably more efficient but it has an annoying bug when using facebook I can't type any replies to comments as it screws them up, puts them in twice and deletes all the spaces. Has anyone else noticed that? That's why I went back to Chrome. I stayed away from Chrome for the first year due to reported issues with high system resource hogging etc, I beleive it's better now.. but perhaps it's still not as good as Edge/ IE (i used IE before win 10)

zhenya

I'd say the potential is definitely there for a cheap aftermarket charger to have caused the issue. The electronics in those is generally completely garbage. Leaving it charged in the dock during the day is not the issue.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I'd say the potential is definitely there for a cheap aftermarket charger to have caused the issue. The electronics in those is generally completely garbage. Leaving it charged in the dock during the day is not the issue.
Cheap aftermarket charger?? This high capacity charger is about $150 on amazon, definitely not cheap....

GTiceman

Get it replaced! I actually leave mine connected 90% of the time as I expect these batteries and software to be better about saving the life. These are my current stats on my i7/256

Screenshot (3).png

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

So, good news... went to the MS store the other day, and they gave me a BSN (brand spanking new) SP3!! While I was there I also picked up the new SP4 TypeCover, which is nothing less than AWESOME. (The Insert key is back!!!! Woohoo!)

I swear this one is different than my last, its much more responsive and faster it seems...

Anyway, thanks for the advice all!

14318pk.jpg

kwinline

I have had mine for 15 months. It went out of warranty in march 2016.
as you can see it is degraded down to 5 minutes of use.

upload_2016-7-6_15-25-38.png

In my opinion (Which Microsoft could care less about) this appears to be a defective battery but they will do nothing except offer me a refrub of a surface that someone else returned with a problem with a 90 day warranty.

As much as I have raved about this surface being so great my opinion has made a complete about face thanks to the lack of customer service from Microsoft.

My plan to upgrade to a new surface in about a year and pass this one on to someone in need is probably not going to happen since i need a solution now.

As of today a surface will probably not be a option.