What's new

Surface Pro 3 bends by itself due to heat

kozak79

Mine is bent. I will exchange it close to when the warranty will expire since I'm on my 3rd SP3 and don't feel like going through setting it up again. I have the i7.

Jose Miguel

My i7 after 1 month is not bent. It's been hot many times, but never bent.... ( I had to put it flat on my desk to test it)

JohnR

My i7 after 3 weeks is OK. Wonder if the problem is caused by the battery. 4 years ago my 1 year old MacBook Pro (15") needed a new battery because the original one got bended to the point I couldn't type because the laptop was bouncing up and down. When I removed the battery and placed on the desk pushing one end flat, the other was 1/2 inch in the air.

leeshor

If we are going to start a discussion about metallurgy thermal properties and such, this isn't the place. As someone else mentioned, it could also have been an issue with a backpack or any number of other stress situations not the least of which would be the pet mastif sitting on it while on a sofa. ;)

Last edited:
OP
P

Perttu Lehtinen

It bends due to heat --> sorry to be a little rude, but please do not post irrational comments.

Do you really believe it ?

A little bit of material science + mechanics and a little bit of good sense will certainly be very helpful.

The yield stress of a basic aluminum-magnesium alloy, heat treated let's say T5 or T7, is around 200MPa.

200 MPa is roughly equivalent to 2000kg per square centimeter.

Do you really believe that the heat, that by the way would probably help to restore the material if there was any initial residual stress in it, could create a stress superior to 2000kg/cm2 and bend the chassis like magic ???

Believe? My device is bent now and it definitely was NOT bent when I got it. It has been only on my desk. Sometimes it gets really hot when doing computationally intensive stuff with it.

RémiM

@leeshor :

If you feel that adding a little science to a topic to explain properly why heat could not bend the SP3 is not constructive/helpful to the community, then you can remove my messages. There is no problem with me, just feel free to do it.

My opinion is a little different. Scientific arguments are always very welcome and are helpful to give a clear reason why things could happen and could not happen.

I wanted to clarify a problem that needs a little science to be clarified. And the coincidence is that I am a prof at univ. and my main topic of research is ... the aluminum alloys and their physical properties.

I thought I was doing well.

RémiM

Believe? My device is bent now and it definitely was NOT bent when I got it. It has been only on my desk. Sometimes it gets really hot when doing computationally intensive stuff with it.

I am not saying you are lying. I am just saying that the heat generated by the SP3 is definitely not the cause of the deformation.
Your SP3 is note made a thermoplastic polymer.

Something else certainly happened (see the other suggestions). Dont lose your energy trying to understand how the poor heat generated by the SP3 could have bent your device.

RémiM

It is being discussed to death. I'm thinking we can discontinue that part of the discussion before it gets heated. ;)

You are absolutely right and I totally agree with you.

Let me just add that even if it was discussed to death, letting people believe that heat can bend like magic their device is giving a freedom to the expansion of disinformation. Which seems to me to be exactly the contrary of what the forum is made for.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You are absolutely right and I totally agree with you.

Let me just add that even if it was discussed to death, letting people believe that heat can bend like magic their device is giving a freedom to the expansion of disinformation. Which seems to me to be exactly the contrary of what the forum is made for.
Lee was being punny (with an air of seriousness)....