What's new

Surface Pro 3 bends by itself due to heat

ctitanic

If these are bent, it was a manufacturing defect and not caused by heat. The melting point for Magnesium is 650 C or 1202 F, if they are heating to a temperature that significantly softens the metal we have bigger issues.... as that well over the <90 C Thermal Envelope the SP3 maintains.
Totally agree. Also, it could be an optical illusion. Could you post a picture of the Surface laying down in a flat surface?

ajcfactorSP3

Mine (i5, 4GB RAM) is bent too. It's never had any bending force put on it that I'm aware of and has never been very hot either. It's also very easy to deflect in the other direction.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need to see proof with the Surface up against a certified straight edge not using a cheap distorted camera.

Then again. There's not enough heat generated to bend aluminum foil much less a the structure of the Surface with angled magnesium alloy and glass.

ajcfactorSP3

Need to see proof with the Surface up against a certified straight edge not using a cheap distorted camera.

Then again. There's not enough heat generated to bend aluminum foil much less a the structure of the Surface with angled magnesium alloy and glass.
It doesn't matter which camera is used to take the picture because it can be seen just looking at it. You can also see a gap between a flat surface and the center of the screen when laid screen side down, and gaps at the sides when laid on its back cover. I doubt it's from heat, but there is no doubt that it's bent. At any rate, here's a picture taken with a good dslr and lens (D7100, 50mm f1.8G) at f/11.

Attachments

• DSC_5184.jpg
    DSC_5184.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 630

RémiM

It doesn't matter which camera is used to take the picture because it can be seen just looking at it. You can also see a gap between a flat surface and the center of the screen when laid screen side down, and gaps at the sides when laid on its back cover. I doubt it's from heat, but there is no doubt that it's bent. At any rate, here's a picture taken with a good dslr and lens (D7100, 50mm f1.8G) at f/11.

And what if, as it has been already mentioned a thousand time in the forum, it is a NORMAL feature, that comes with every SP3 ? An intrinsic shape ?

http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...ir-sp3-is-curved-outwards-in-the-middle.9504/

Why does a slight curve has to be necessarily a problem, a defect ?

If you can't remember a situation where you SP3 could have been bent (like doing skateboard with it, or trying to play tennis with it) then why would it be bent ?

ajcfactorSP3

And what if, as it has been already mentioned a thousand time in the forum, it is a NORMAL feature, that comes with every SP3 ? An intrinsic shape ?

http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...ir-sp3-is-curved-outwards-in-the-middle.9504/

Why does a slight curve has to be necessarily a problem, a defect ?

If you can't remember a situation where you SP3 could have been bent (like doing skateboard with it, or trying to play tennis with it) then why would it be bent ?
Thousands? There are 43 posts in that thread, and many are by people claiming their device is straight. As to how it could bend without force, obviously the reason people are interested in this is because that would indicate it's not structurally strong enough; a very real danger in the race for bragging rights about thinness. If microsoft officially states this is by design, that would be great because I don't want to return it. But if you're faulting people for noticing something that looks like a problem and wanting to get to the bottom of it, your off base. And the "bottom" of the issue is going to be defined by MS or someone with technical knowledge of the design.

RémiM

I am faulting people for not doing any research before asking a question that has been debated at least 43 time (this number that you mentioned obviously doesn't include the similar thread that you can find on the first page of the forum and that has been created on november the 8th) --> guess who's off base...

ajcfactorSP3

I am faulting people for not doing any research before asking a question that has been debated at least 43 time (this number that you mentioned obviously doesn't include the similar thread that you can find on the first page of the forum and that has been created on november the 8th) --> guess who's off base...
Given that no one yet knows whether the bend is universal across all devices and/or whether it's part of the design, it's clear who's off base. If you're not interested in the answer, then butt out of the conversation.

bluegrass

My SP3 might be bent too for all I know. All I care about is that I can use and it doesn't bounce around on the desk if I touch the screen with my fingers.

RémiM

@ajcfactorSP3 It's not the heat, you don't seem to play tennis with your SP3, it could be a manufacturing defect but maybe it's not-- who knows?, maybe it's an optical effect, maybe it's just the antenna plastic part that is curved and gives the impression that the whole device is crap, maybe it's a design feature, and bla bla bla.

Then what kind of other answer are you exactly expecting ? --> "Yep, the question has been mentioned several times, but meh, we still don't know !?" Would you be satisfied ? I wouldn't.

My SP3 also has this slightly curved shape. I bought it like that and it works perfectly.
I've had a few SP3 in my hands and all of them had this curve. I went to my Best Buy local store and all of them had it too.

Some folks had a prolem of front glass panel popping up. Is it related ? Or not ? Is it going to snow tomorrow ? Or not ? In that case, the warranty works, right ?

Sorry to be rude, I have nothing against you. But well a little research costs nothing, doesn't it ?

Take it easy with this curve. You have in your hand the most beautiful hybrid you can have. I know you spent a lot of money on it, and you probably want to keep it a long time. Me too. Enjoy it, and since you are not able to stick a sausage in between the front panel and the chassis, don't worry too much about the curvature.

kozak79

My question is this. If my SP3 is bent (Mine IS bent), would I qualify for a replacement? Would I have to pay the deductable if I have Microsoft Extended Warranty?

Also, If your SP3 is not bent today, but next week you realized it was bent, would you be upset, would you try to get a replacement?

RémiM

My answer is: if your SP3 is bent, i.e. its dimensions are out of the manufacturer's tolerances, it is definitely a problem and you must proceed to an exchange.

If your SP3 is under warranty, you should not pay a single $, except if you have to send the device back. In that case you have to pay for the postal delivery. Be very careful and wrap it into a very solid package to avoid any transportation surprise.

To answer your second question: heat CANNOT bend your SP3. This is absolutely a legend. As there is no residual stresses in the structure, a "bending by itself" situation is likely to never happen. I am very careful on the way I carry it and if I bend my SP3, yep, I would be very upset against me and myself.

Last edited: