What's new

Surface Pro 3 Camera Issue

aleisha

I got a new Surface Pro 3 in November and a few days ago I realised the front camera isn't working. It used to work fine, but now whenever I open it, the screen is black, like something is covering the camera (it's not). The buttons to flip the camera, to look through pictures and everything still appear, and the back camera still works fine. Any advice?

Haldi

did you by any chance reduce the brightness?

I've had this problem a few weeks ago. I think the changed the minimum Brightness in a patch, because it was REALLY extremly dark before.

Screenshot (40).png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok ensure the camera App is not prevented from using the camera.
Unlikely but to be sure: Do The Opposite of these procedures.

From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/camera-app-faq

To turn the camera off for a specific app
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Privacy, and then tap or click Webcam.

3. Set Let apps use my webcam to Off or turn it off for specific apps.
Note
  • To keep the Camera app from using the camera, you’ll need to turn off the camera completely.

• If you have problems with the Camera app after changing privacy settings, drag the app to the bottom of the screen and hold it there until the app flips over, and then try again.
To turn the camera off completely
You can turn off the camera so that no app, including the Camera app, can use it.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Device Manager in the search box, and then tap or click Device Manager in the results.

3. Expand Imaging Devices.

4. Right-click the camera, and then click Disable.
To turn the camera off so it can’t be used when your PC is locked
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click PC and devices, and then tap or click Lock screen.

3. Set Swipe down on the
Verify there is no problem reported in Device Manager for the Front Camera under Imaging Devices.
If there isn't and it's still not working then try Deleting the Device and let the system redetect and reinstall the driver to see if that fixes it.

If none of that works... contact support... see the Answer Desk Link on the right side of the page.
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/surface-cameras