What's new

Surface Pro 3 competition heating up

BearFlag

With a showcase of new hybrids at the 2015 CES, it seems like the competition is catching up with the Surface Pro 3.

The Asus Transformer Chi T300 is cheaper but has a slower processor: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864...-a-cheap-alternative-to-the-surface-pro.html\

The Toshiba Portege Z20t is lighter but is a lot more expensive with the digitizer option: http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/05/toshiba-portege-z20t/

Both come with the newer Broadwell processors and have 12.5” screens, but as mentioned, do have their shortcomings (slower processor, higher price).

It will be interesting to see what the Surface Pro 4 will bring later this year. It will obviously have the new processors but maybe Microsoft will put a larger screen (12.5+”) into the same dimensions.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually that Toshiba has a higher price AND a slower processor along with a lower res screen and more weight. I didn't really look any closer than that. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No kickstand, no thanks. Not a fan of asus tablets, and while the toshiba looks ok, it is more a laptop that can be a tablet, where the SP3 seems to me more a tablet that can become a laptop. Also love love love my type cover :)

ptrkhh

None of them are portrait-friendly. Seriously after I got the SP3, I will not ever consider 16:9 tablets anymore.

Its quite disappointing that it takes OEMs almost half a decade (and counting) to realize that 16:9 is idiotic on a tablet, where it should be comfortable to use both in portrait and landscape orientation.

Reactions: Kif

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, i've never used or had a desire to use any tablet in portrait more. My surface has certainly never been used in this manner.

And you say idiotic, i'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of tablet use is done in landscape, not portrait, and for things that see no advantage of a 3:2 display. Tablets are mostly for angry birds or youtube etc, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with 16:9 in that usage case.

mtalinm

couldn't disagree more. i flip my surface from landscape to portrait all the time. if I didn't, i might as well have a laptop.

bluegrass

Like Hughile, I've never used any of my Surfaces, including the three, in the portrait mode. I'm sure it serves a purpose but I don't know what that purpose is. Most everything in computing these days is designed in wide screen format. The portrait mode seems like a wanabe piece of paper and takes me back to the typewriter days. It looks strange to me now when I play on old movie and see it almost square instead of wide.

ptrkhh

things that see no advantage of a 3:2 display. Tablets are mostly for angry birds or youtube etc, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with 16:9 in that usage case.
Regardless on how you think about using a tablet in portrait, at least we could agree that some of us do so much more on a tablet than angry birds or youtube. Isnt that the reason why we got the SP3?

Anyway, sure, 16:9 is the best for entertainment. That's why TVs are 16:9. But for work, its clearly not the best. Windows tablets in general, especially the 10" or larger ones, have to do both.

Consider how much space left for the content after all the controls occupy their space. Take Office, for example, in 16:9 you only get two thirds of the screen left for the content. On 3:2, the controls barely occupy a fourth. This gets even worse the moment you open the keyboard. On 16:9 the content could only literally peek through 10% of the screen, making it practically unusable. (and no, flipping to portrait is not an option on 16:9)

16:9 is also poor for browsing. In a lot of websites, you get blank space on the left and right side of the content. You could zoom up for sure, but another problem coming up, now you can barely see which paragraph youre on. 3:2 wouldve used the space much more efficiently to display more content. That's why the Chromebook Pixel uses 3:2. Its a device purely made for browsing websites where cost is no object.

That's actually the reason why 12" on the SP3 feels so roomy compared to comparable sized tablets like most 11.6" Windows tablets as well as the Galaxy Note

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use mine in portrait about 2/3rds of the time, for meeting notes, document review and research, I only use Landscape when I'm typing on the Surface Pro 3 itself and many times I'll use the SP3 in portrait and use an extended monitor for landscape work....

16:9 sucks on tablets, 16:10 is meh and 3:2 or 4:3 works great. I would agree Tablet users (Android and Windows SST) use landscape mostly, but those who are Tablet PC users use portrait....

bluegrass

If you use tablet mode in portrait, I would think you would be forced to use an external keyboard, wouldn't you? I guess the whole text editing game changed when laptops came out because you are really forced to use landscape mode and I'm pretty sure most laptops are 16:9 landscape only devices. Maybe they should make a portrait model Surface with a keyboard that would plug in what is now the side of the Surface. it would also have a portrait kickstand.