What's new

Surface Pro 3 competition heating up

Nys299

I am fully aware of the arguments for why 16:9 is bad. Doesn't effect me a bit though, i've always done my work at this ratio, and it's never bothered me a bit. Heck, when i actually sit down to do serious work i plug in an external monitor and do my work on that 16:9 display because I actually prefer it. Nope, I love me some 16:9, 2 documents side by side, works perfectly for me. The 4:3 aspect ratio has only been useful to me when using an onscreen keyboard, but with a physical keyboard, 4:3 does nothing beneficial for me.

I fully agree with you that on a large enough monitor at least a 24 inch and above, 16:9 provides the ability to put 2 documents side by side....its priceless. 8). For a small 12 or 13 inch screen, I am on full screen all the time so I would rather have larger real estate to do work on.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I find particularly annoying about 16:9 is invariably you cannot fit a full page of a PDF on screen of reasonable size so you can page down through it. Scrolling is the worst computer activity of all time especially if your using remote virtual desktops. The inclusion of the scroll wheel was the absolute worst technology invention/introduction in the history of computing.

Nys299

In fact taking a cue from the new drool worthy Dell XPS 13 at CES, Microsoft should eliminate the ugly bezels and increase the screen size of the Surface Pro without changing the form factor and the size of the tablet. That would really make the next SP the sexiest laptop out there. Or they could eliminate the bezels and keep the 12" screen size to reduce footprint of the tablet. That would make it even easier to wield. Currently the SP3 is still a little bit unwieldy to use as a tablet.

ptrkhh

In fact taking a cue from the new drool worthy Dell XPS 13 at CES, Microsoft should eliminate the ugly bezels and increase the screen size of the Surface Pro without changing the form factor and the size of the tablet. That would really make the next SP the sexiest laptop out there. Or they could eliminate the bezels and keep the 12" screen size to reduce footprint of the tablet. That would make it even easier to wield. Currently the SP3 is still a little bit unwieldy to use as a tablet.
But you cant hold it as a tablet unless they could code a palm-blocking properly, which I highly doubt.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Call me old fashioned, but i like bezels. Something to actually hold onto. Tv's and laptops and desktop monitors may have no use for a bezel, but i wouldn't buy a phone or tablet if it was going with the whole super slim bezel motif.

Nys299

Call me old fashioned, but i like bezels. Something to actually hold onto. Tv's and laptops and desktop monitors may have no use for a bezel, but i wouldn't buy a phone or tablet if it was going with the whole super slim bezel motif.

There were many things through the years we said we could not do without....but we eventually got used to it and moved on. Frankly I would like the Surface Pro 3 to be slightly more wieldy. Perhaps don't eliminate the bezels completely, but minimize it as much as possible so that the footprint can be slightly smaller. The SP3 is just a few adjustments to being heavenly. And THANK GOD for 3:2. I would not have purchased it if it was 16:9 thats for sure. In fact it was the main reason I dumped my only 5 months old Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 for the SP3. The money part still hurts....but I am extremely happy with the SP3. Bezels are ugly and old fashion. We live in a age where our gadgets must not only be functional but must look cool as well.

bamaster

As soon as I saw the new Dell XPS 13, I ordered it. i7-5500U, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD and 13.3 QHD+ display with 11 hours of alleged battery life.

I've realized that my SP3 is used exclusively as a laptop. So the dual capacity as a laptop and tablet is not needed. I need a strong keyboard and trackpad.

That said, I love the SP3 and will not give it up. Maybe I'll find a reason to use it as a tablet.

DutchYee

SP3, i dont get any laptop thats comes close. The heat is really useual, otherwise you wont get this amazing performance :)

ChrisPanzer

I am fully aware of the arguments for why 16:9 is bad. Doesn't effect me a bit though, i've always done my work at this ratio, and it's never bothered me a bit. Heck, when i actually sit down to do serious work i plug in an external monitor and do my work on that 16:9 display because I actually prefer it. Nope, I love me some 16:9, 2 documents side by side, works perfectly for me. The 4:3 aspect ratio has only been useful to me when using an onscreen keyboard, but with a physical keyboard, 4:3 does nothing beneficial for me.

Agreed +1. For all these people saying how the Sp3 is great with the 3:2 screen etc etc, I really could care less. 16:9 works great for me. Sp3 screen is beautiful as well, but I can work on either aspect ratio.

malberttoo

I agree with the folks saying 16:9 is mostly only good for video. I find it too constraining. I love the 16:10 aspect ratio, and I think the SP3's 3:2 ratio is about the most perfect sweet spot you can find on a tablet/mobile PC. My SP1 in portrait was darn near useless.