What's new

Surface Pro 3 competitors? list it!

macmee

The New ThinkPad Helix 2, The New HP 2 and 1's (Pro line), Dell Venue 11 Pro...

None are using as high res screen like the SP3,

Which is crazy to me. Even cheap android tablets like the nexus 7 have high dpi displays in them.

The surface line are more premium anyways. I would be devastated if/when Microsoft kills the Surface altogether.

Helix 2, yoga 3 pro and thinkpad yoga 2 are the 3 products I'll be decidingbetween, will be announced on Oct 9. Fanless designs, better battery, and a proper keyboard main reasons for the switch.

mitchellvii

The standouts for the SP3 above all competitors are as follows:

1) The hi res screen. Only the Yoga 2 Pro has higher and honestly, having owned both I would say the SP3 screen actually looks better. 3200 x 1800 on a laptop is simply overkill and burns battery unnecessarily.
2) 3 by 2 aspect ratio. This is an SP3 exclusive and one of MS's best ideas. Makes reading webpages or books in portrait a pleasure.
3) Stylus - The fact Lenovo never put a stylus with the Y2P is like shooting that device in the head for professionals. Obviously other products have the stylus without the high res screen.
4) Weight. If you want to use the SP3 as a tablet only with the keyboard detached it is very light.
5) The "fanlesss" design of the mythical SP4 does nothing for me. Unless I am gaming or running updates, my fan never turns on and when it does is nearly silent. Unlike the "bake cookies with it" heat from my original Surface Pro, the SP3 runs very cool for me.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which is crazy to me. Even cheap android tablets like the nexus 7 have high dpi displays in them.

The surface line are more premium anyways. I would be devastated if/when Microsoft kills the Surface altogether.
I doubt Microsoft kills off the Surface line as it is doing what it is intended to do, sparking better innovation from ODMs and OEMs and it also gives the best Windows Experience. In its serendipitous for Microsoft that Google is quickly making the same bully mistakes that Microsoft did in the 90s and the OEMs are quickly building machines to compete with Android and Chrome.

tat3406

I just place order for SP3, When I survey new laptop to replace my old(6 years) one, I had consider yoga 2 pro, dell xps, that period the SP3 was unknown for me. The SP3 still not popular in Malaysia, but after I survey this machine, I know this is what I want and there are no real competitor. I hope others oem will catch up this design and sell it cheaper.

leeshor

I just place order for SP3, When I survey new laptop to replace my old(6 years) one, I had consider yoga 2 pro, dell xps, that period the SP3 was unknown for me. The SP3 still not popular in Malaysia, but after I survey this machine, I know this is what I want and there are no real competitor. I hope others oem will catch up this design and sell it cheaper.
Welcome aboard.