What's new

Surface Pro 3 Core i3

I'm waiting for some hands on reviews as well. $650 with the student discount is very tempting. Would really like to hear how battery life is. My main use is note taking at school, so I have no need for any of the upgrades in the other models.

kontrol1

Got i3. I have another more powerful machine as the primary device.

(can't really do the benchmark and stuff. Anandtech has it done well)

100 MB pdf on drawboard loads fine (small lag). Thumbnail view for the same file takes about 30 seconds to load fully.On i5/4GB ram it will be about 10 seconds or less for same file I think(for the thumbnail view) . Had Chrome with 3 tabs(playing youtube) Drawboard(files open), Windows Reader app (with files open) all running simultaneously. Heat is fine. CPU didn't lag that I noticed. Memory takes hit with more stuff open.

I don't game. Think I will get a 64GB micro sd from amazon for 40 bucks. Not decided yet. May be I will go for the i5/4GB/128GB instead of this. Plan is to trade this in when the next version comes in 8 months (?) or less...

So i5/4gb if I want a little more snap and more built in space. i5/8GB if really need more RAM and space. Price diff is huge.

Don't forget the keyboard ($129). It really is useful. Carrying a separate BT KB etc is hassle (or may be not)

What really drives me nuts is the lack of pen silo/storage (trying to locate pen is no fun) and no TIP in desktop plus the wifi issues, fixed focus rear camera etc.

There is nothing like SP3 in the market though. So gotta live with the limitations.

(Fatwallet has 4% cashback for MS store online also..)

Last edited:
M

ManUnited

Where did you find this at $649? I thought the education price was $719 (10% off) the $799 retail.

I just picked up an i3 and unfortunately the pen isn't working. Ive tried a system restore, uninstalling the surface pen in device manager and letting it reinstall itself, and installing ntrig drivers. Nothing seems to work. Only thing I haven't tried is a new battery, but wont be able to get one till tomorrow. And yes, the battery is in the correct way.

I would love to get you guys some battery times, but I will likely have to do an exchange tomorrow. I can say that it didn't get very hot during the initial setup or the system restore.

Wiidesire

No one else bought the i3 version? Can't believe that at this "low" price way more people are buying the i7 version?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one else bought the i3 version? Can't believe that at this "low" price way more people are buying the i7 version?
Maybe the i3 users are just a little slower in finding their way here. :)

From reading these posts you'd think every user is doing 3D rendering and in Mortal Combat with virtual aliens from Zoltar. :)