What's new

Surface Pro 3 Kickstand/Hinge Concern

Icemango

This here is not my video, but it appears that this person's surface has a kickstand that wobbles exactly like mine. I even went to bestbuy and futureshop to see their models and they all wobble like this too.

Is this cause for concern? Will the surface pro 3 in the long run end up not being able to be supported by the kickstand due to loose hinge? I know the surface pro 2, when in the second position for the kick stand, also wobbled like this. I am wondering, for people who owned the surface pro 2 for an extensive period of time (several months), how is your kick stand holding up?

Since it seems that most hinges on the SP3 are as shown in this video, either this is a completely normal thing, or Microsoft screwed up the majority of the surface pro 3 hinges.

OP
I

Icemango

I would like to add also that when it is set on a table or a surface, the kickstand is very stable (I can violently attack the screen with my finger and the kickstand won't wobble. It only wobbles back a bit the instant it touches a hard surface like a desk, and also when you do the thing the guy did in the video. I wouldn't have noticed it had I not seen the video).

mcsenerd

Much ado about nothing in my opinion. Even if it does do that without load, it most certainly doesn't jostle around in actual use... which is the only use that matters.

ipaq_101

I have never had it slip off the position I set it in, on my lap or a solid surface like a desk.

cdf3

The kickstand on my Surface Pro 2 stills works well.
As for my Surface Pro 3, I make a habit of pulling out the kickstand equally on both sides in order to keep the friction hing from getting out of alignment.

Odyssey

Mine has wobbled a bit like that since I've received it. It hasn't gotten worse since then, so I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
I

Icemango

The kickstand on my Surface Pro 2 stills works well.
As for my Surface Pro 3, I make a habit of pulling out the kickstand equally on both sides in order to keep the friction hing from getting out of alignment.

Overall how is your surface pro 2? Does it still work well? It seems like everyone on these forums (look at the SP2 boards) is having major issues with theirs and it hasn't even been a year since launch. I am hoping this w2ill not repeat on the SP3, as I am hoping it can last between 1 to 2 years before needed to be replaced.

wynand32

I think a little give in the hinge when not under load is probably a good thing--it should reduce the stress on the mechanism over the long-term.

cdf3

Overall how is your surface pro 2? Does it still work well? It seems like everyone on these forums (look at the SP2 boards) is having major issues with theirs and it hasn't even been a year since launch. I am hoping this w2ill not repeat on the SP3, as I am hoping it can last between 1 to 2 years before needed to be replaced.

I don't have any major problems with my Surface Pro 2. I had problems with the screen going crazy and the device freezing up. I later found out that the issue was due to a program I used to use on my older Windows computers, which I installed on my Surface Pro 2. The version of the program wasn't compatible with Windows 8. After getting the updated version of the app, everything was fine.
I liked my Surface Pro 2 a lot. One of the main reasons I got the Surface Pro 3 was the multi position kickstand. I was in need of more than just two kickstand angles. I tried a few cases, but they made the device heavier and a little bulky. I've been waiting for the Freedom Case to come out, but they've been prolonging it since May. I didn't feel like waiting any longer, so I went ahead and got the Pro 3. I also fell in love with the new screen size of the Pro 3 while playing around with it in the Microsoft Stores.
There are quite a few users complaining about the Pro 2, but you will soon realize that many of the same people are posting in multiple threads. It's probably not as many people with issues as you think.

OP
I

Icemango

I've never had any issues with any of the kickstands on either my SP1, SP2, or my SP3.
That is good to hear. My biggest concern is the kickstand starting to sag aha. I know we have a one year warranty but at the same time, I know I'll spend a month trying to get microsoft to send me a replacement that is probably worse than the original anyway.