What's new

Surface Pro 3 launched - 12" tablet, 9mm thick, 2160x1440

I bought the SP2 less than a month ago. Going to see if I can return it before the 30 days is up.

Its just been 3 months for me , and already the SP2 is outdated , this is not good move , this will make people think about buying the next model. as possible an SP4 will be available by year end.

munakib

I am hoping that wont be the case now that Panos is taking orders from an intelligent man. I am sure he was the sole reason that Panos has to get his butt into gear and fix all the issues with SP2, it wasnt light enough, it wasnt thin enough, touchpad sucked, paint peeled off - these were obvious misgivings that should have stopped MS from rolling out SP2 (or you can say, SP1.5).

Its just been 3 months for me , and already the SP2 is outdated , this is not good move , this will make people think about buying the next model. as possible an SP4 will be available by year end.

Last edited:

ximoosea

I had an n-trig with my Vaio, they certainly AREN'T better than Wacom. That, plus the fact that the Pro 3 is too big makes it easy for me to keep my Pro 2.

I disagree with this. I have a Vaio Flip that uses the N-Trig and I find it far superior to the wacom implementation on the Surface Pro. Perhaps because I am left handed but the accuracy of the SP pen has never been good, and even borders on terrible/unusable near the edges. The Vaio is really nice and fluid...I much prefer it. The only complaint I have about the Vaio N-Trig is that the palm rejection does not work as good as the Surface Pro. I do not know if this is due to the digitizer or just the implementation from Vaio...I really like how well the palm rejection works on the Surface Pro.

Keep in mind that I do no artist work, thus the 256 levels of pressure point is not a consideration for me. My main use is taking notes and marking up presentations. I am very much looking forward to the SP3.

It says on the MS web site that the adapter is sold separately , so is there no out of the box adapter ? and then it raises the price of the SP3 further.

[1] Office sold separately.

[2] System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage. 1GB = 1 billion bytes. For more information, see surface.com/storage.

[3] Surface Covers sold separately

[4] Adapter required, sold separately

[5] Up to 9 hours of battery life for video playback. Battery life for other uses will vary.

[6] Your new Surface comes with a one-year limited hardware warranty and 90 days of technical support.

I am hoping that wont be the case now that Panos is taking orders from an intelligent man. I am sure he was the sole reason that Panos has to get his butt into gear and fix all the issues with SP2, it wasnt light enough, it wasnt thin enough, touchpad sucked, paint peeled off - these were obvious misgivings that should have stopped MS from rolling out SP2 (or you can say, SP1.5).

If they think that it was their mistake and there have been issues , then there should be a trade in policy for the SP2 to SP3 , its no way doing justice to the customer that have purchased such a high end machine and it becomes out dated in 3 months. ps : it took me to purchase this late because it got available in HK just 3-4 months back !

tommo

Impressive device indeed. I like the direction MS has chosen with its Surface Pro line.

Thanks to its reduced bezels and thin chassis the SP3 looks much more mature compared to previous Pros. And much bigger too, although when shown side by side the size difference is really not that dramatic.

There was much ado about the revolutionary inaudible fan in the presentation yesterday - I was wondering all the time how they achieved that - but some hands-on previews have already confirmed that the fan is indeed audible when the device is put through its paces.

Still, can't help but think that SP2 was just a quick and dirty fix of original SP's biggest issues and SP3 is what SP2 should really have been. The question remains whether MS will introduce Broadwell-based SP3 before the end of the year - just to annoy early adopters - as they have done so many times already... :)

OP
K

kevinlevrone

Here are my thoughts. I have the financial means to buy the Surface Pro 3, but I am keeping my Surface Pro 2 at least until Broadwell, and probably even longer than that.

What I don't like:

- It's too large for me and this is a deal breaker :( I do like the new screen, especially the height (I am a programmer and I need to see lines of code), but the bezels are larger than what I imagined and the comparative pictures show that the SP3 is quite a bit larger than the SP2 (28mm more height and 17mm more width). I was hoping that they would keep almost the same dimensions as the SP2 but with thin bezels and larger screen. Did not happen. For example, I do some car tuning and the SP2 is great to handle inside a car. The SP3 will be just too big.

- The $1300 model has the same internals as the SP2 (4300U processor, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD). I never use the pen, so I really don't care about the digitizer tech change. Wi-Fi + Bluetooth fiasco is probably fixed but this is minor for me, I use 5GHz often.

However, I do like the fact that they didn't wait until Intel Broadwell to launch it (although there will probably be a Broadwell refresh in about 6 months from now). I hate when Apple and other manufacturers are moving just too slow - look at the ancient MacBook Air with 1366x768 resolution in 2014. Dell had something possibly great with their XPS 11, but they blew up the keyboard. If you have something ready, just launch it ! I think that it was the new CEO Satya Nadella that had a role in this early launch.

- I really don't care about the better thickness and weight (I do bodybuilding :) )

- The keyboard is really disappointing in the fact that they did not separate the function keys from the editing keys (PgUp/PgDown/Home/End/Delete) despite having a lot more real estate to work with. For a programmer, this is one of the most annoying things in the Type Cover. The function keys are used a lot, and also the paging keys. They should have released at least an alternative Type Cover with separated keys and smaller trackpad (which I never use).

- No second USB port and I really needed it (I really didn't expect this. If they want it to replace a laptop, shouldn't they include a second USB port ?)

- The new stand is ok but I couldn't use such an expensive tablet without a case, and my favorite case has a stand of it's own with multiple angles, I never used the SP2 stand.

So basically...the SP3 doesn't fit my needs. I need to get used to the thought of a significantly larger device first.

But I do hope that it will sell in large numbers, it will only benefit competition from Dell/HP/Lenovo/Asus/Acer which right now are really clueless, all their thin hybrids use the Y-series lower performing processor and have lower build quality (to be honest, they need to make a profit from their hardware while Microsoft can afford to lose on hardware while gaining from services).

sp3sp2.jpg

Last edited:

EMINENT

I'll never use a case with mine as i'm not in a rough environment. What I did was just get a Stickerboy to cover and protect the finish, keeping it thin and light. Easy on, easy off.

cdf3

They changed the pen technology on the Surface Pro 3. As of now, I don't have to worry about carrying around my Surface Pro Pen, because I can use the pen from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. This won't work for the Surface Pro 3.