What's new

Surface Pro 3 Not Turning On: Please Help

SunnyKayaker

It looks like no one has dealt with this in almost a year, but my 14 month old SP3 has been doing this periodically, until last week when it would not come back on at all. Last night, my computer tech again played around with all the options noted above, set it down, then accidentally touched it half an hour later and it came back on. I backed up, then tried to upgrade to 10. All night it said "Waiting on reply", so I rebooted and am now back to the same problem. Dead black screen. Did not drop it or hit or anything and it was 100% battery full when I rebooted. Microsoft wants $450 for a reconditioned one. Any other alternatives? Is this just a lemon or are there fixes? I'm really tired of not being able to count on this computer!

KR1SIS

It looks like no one has dealt with this in almost a year, but my 14 month old SP3 has been doing this periodically, until last week when it would not come back on at all. Last night, my computer tech again played around with all the options noted above, set it down, then accidentally touched it half an hour later and it came back on. I backed up, then tried to upgrade to 10. All night it said "Waiting on reply", so I rebooted and am now back to the same problem. Dead black screen. Did not drop it or hit or anything and it was 100% battery full when I rebooted. Microsoft wants $450 for a reconditioned one. Any other alternatives? Is this just a lemon or are there fixes? I'm really tired of not being able to count on this computer!

I have the same exact problem. It works fine for a period of a day or so, then once it shutsdown (sometimes on it's own), it will stay that way for months. No amount of two button shutdown will work. Then like magic, it will turn on after a while. I have decided that Microsoft makes crappy computers. My Surface Pro 3 was given to me from Microsoft after a botched update on my Surface Pro 1. The Surface Pro 1, still starts, but nothing can be written to disk, I can't even erase files. I loved the Surface Pro 3, but will NEVER EVER purchase another Microsoft computer. They aren't worth the headache. There are some other pretty good brands out there with pens. Why on earth some idiot would design a notebook without a physical reset button is beyond me. The two button crap is still a software reset. There is NO way to reset the machine. I'm hoping this was from a firmware update last year and the next time I get the SP3 powered up, I'm going to update the firmware first, it actually worked fine for months when I first got it.

Good luck. If I find a fix, I'll let you know.