What's new

Surface Pro 3 Popularity - My Observations

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Microsoft said SP3 is their most popular Surface, and it's not even released in Europe yet.
It does seem so. And indeed, there are still many markets still to open up. I'm getting very excited for the 28th. Compared to 1 and 2, this device looks so good that even as a future student in London looking at spending £700 a month on rent for a bedsit, I'm perfectly willing to blow about £1300 on it when as a student I could realistically be perfectly fine with a £250 laptop. I can get a 9 series Samsung ultra book for 400, but I'm willing to pay the premiums this time for the amazing functionality it offers over my nexus 10.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't had a surface before, but I heard of them because my step daughter bought herself a surface 2, I didn't know much (anything) about them before that ( I have desktop, old large laptop and a Nexus 7 tablet), I wasn't even aware that there was a pro-version of the surface running full windows until I saw one in a shop and played with it (pro 2) I was very impressed by the device but in that form-factor (screen size mainly) I wouldn't even have considered it as a purchase at the price, however when I heard of the Pro 3 and the specs before release it piqued my interest as the screen aspect and size (plus the new hinge) lends itself much more to replacing my aging laptop, which would be it's main duty, but also for occasional note taking tasks in portrait mode as a tablet, or ebook reading etc. My Nexus 7 is a brilliant device but for some tasks a larger screen is preferable, even on a tablet.

I can see this version definitely having a MUCH wider appeal as it's more accessible both as a laptop AND tablet. I get the impression that few people use the Pro 2 as a tablet device in portrait mode because the screen aspect ratio doesn't really lend itself so much to it. I simply can't wait to get mine, for me anyway MSFT made a very good decision to go for the bigger screen as well I wouldn't be a customer without it.

malberttoo

I'll add that it's the version that had more acceptance i the On line press which is written mostly by Apple fans.

The part that I find interesting, as stated a few times now in this thread, is the adoption of the SP3 by typically hard-core Apple fans.

malberttoo

However, I am struggling with the poor battery life. Both the MBP and iPad last the entire day and I need not bring a charger to campus. As of now, I cannot achieve that with the SP3. This may seem like a small issue to some, but it is a vital matter for me.

I don't know what you're doing on your SP3, so this suggestion may not apply to you at all. AND you may not like it or it may be pretty inconvenient.

I can't explain it, but when I first got my SP3, I couldn't get even 7 hours out of it. I was having some other issues and finally after 3 weeks of owning it, decided to do a full reset/restore.

My usage of the device didn't change at all, same apps, used the same way, etc, but now I'm hitting 10 hours on the battery.

YMMV of course, I'm just throwing it out there.