What's new

Surface Pro 3 power connector problem

quark314

I'm trying to repair the power connector for a surface pro 3 (the part that mates with the computer, not the power brick).

Obviously normally they're not worth repairing, and you'd just buy a new one, but I'm in a unique situation: I'm at the South Pole, where there is absolutely no mail service or package delivery until November, so ordering a new one isn't possible. My friend here has a Surface Pro 3, and only one power cord (no one here has a spare). The contacts on the connector he has are severely corroded, and I'm trying to fix it for him (or butcher the existing connector for parts to make a hacked-together new one) so he doesn't have to do without a computer until November.

But that leaves me in need of a wiring diagram or some kind of spec sheet for the connector.

Alternatively, does anyone know if it will charge (even verrrrrrry slowly) via the USB port?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

You're in a real pickle. Hope someone can help but it seems like a long shot.

kundas1

no you cannot charge through the USB, but it should be easy to clean the connector using a Q-tip and alcohol or even better if you can get your hands on is Acetone and remove all the corrosion... DRY THOROUGHLY before connecting and he/you should be good to go.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id say get your vinegar, salt, & baking soda and try this
How to perfectly clean wires in minutes!!! - All
Obviously you cant strip the wires, just put the whole connector in and maybe brush it with a toothbrush.
I have cleaned many a corroded battery terminals with vinegar and baking soda... never heard of adding salt before but hams are knowledge resourceful folks.

Then heat the connector with a hair dryer or something for a good while, leave it for a couple days to ensure it's dry.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tomato sauce would likely do a decent job as well... I used to make spaghetti in an iron skillet and afterwards it would be very clean :) so simmer that connector in some tomato sauce for 10-15 minutes it should be looking shiny. Again a little brushing wouldn't hurt.

Here's a list of Alkaline and Acidic foods in case you have to get really creative
Alkaline-Acid Food Charts | Greenopedia
I hear you can dissolve raw meat in soda (Coke) overnight due to the acidity.

Get your MacGyver on. :)