What's new

Surface pro 3 Running AutoCad 2014

rons

I have SP3 i5/256gb. have and run AutoCAD and Maya without problems. Not going to win awards for rendering speeds, but it works just fine. Its been a few months since I've ran AutoCAD last, but since then I've been running vm's and PLC software 10 hours a day without a hitch. Just Monday I started using my micro sd for vm storage, running Samsung pro micro, SanDisk extreme also works well. Anything slower than those class chips doesnt work nicely. This saves the SSD wear.

if you have any in depth or more technical questions feel free to ask.

Btw, the 3k'ish screen resolution on sp3 kicks butt in AutoCAD/Sony Vegas pro 3

rons

I am having a lot of trouble installing Autocad LT 2015 on my brand new Surface pro 3 I7. I am using a dvd usb drive with a autocad lt 2015 dvd. Any thoughts?

rons

It just won't install. I have tried the same dvd usb drive and Autocad disk on another pc and it installed just fine. Should I try the install again and send you the error messages? The first error message I get is "Failed to open source MSI". Then I get Error 1006 The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid." I click ok and the installer continues to run but ends up saying the program could not be installed.

malberttoo

It just won't install. I have tried the same dvd usb drive and Autocad disk on another pc and it installed just fine. Should I try the install again and send you the error messages? The first error message I get is "Failed to open source MSI". Then I get Error 1006 The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid." I click ok and the installer continues to run but ends up saying the program could not be installed.

Are you running the CD drive strictly off the SP3's USB port? If so, you may want to get a splitter cable that has an additional USB tether that you plug into the USB power port on your power brick or a wall adapter. The DVD drive may not be getting enough power consistently from the USB port.

The SP3's USB port doesn't provide as much juice as a desktop USB port does, in an effort to conserve battery life. Many external CD/DVD drives require additional external power to work properly on the SP3, or to work at all.

malberttoo

Alternatively, use a desktop PC or other machine to copy the contents of the DVD onto a thumb drive, and run the install from there, and see if the problem persists.