Surface Pro 3 Scores a Paltry 1 out of 10 on iFixit Repairability Scale

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Jun 23, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

This probably will come as no surprise to you, but the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3 scores as badly as possible on iFixit's repairability score. The engineers over at iFixit took the new tablet through their dissection testing and gave it a 1 out of 10, which is the lowest possible score. Of course, with a device is aesthetically designed and integrated as the Surface Proe 3, this comes as no surprise. Here's a quote withe summation of their teardown. Be sure to check out the full story at the source link below.

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+3+Teardown/26595

2. kodos

kodos Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Too lazy to look at it - but how did the Pro 2 / Pro 1 fare?

3. kodos

kodos Member

My Device:
    SPro3
  4. mennogreg

mennogreg Active Member

I don't know why a big deal is made about it, most devices in this kind of form factor are going to get a very low score. Really the only thing most consumers would think about replacing is the battery, which is why I'm surprised Panos mentioned battery replacement from MS at the price of $200-$300 (forgot the exact amount). I wonder how they plan on accomplishing that without causing other problems, as its likely both time consuming and needs to be done with great care. If it wasn't viable before, what makes it so now? Or do they have stock on standby and just pull the SSD from the returned model and insert it into the new one before sealing her up?

5. unruledboy

unruledboy Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    personally, I prefer the ssd could be easily upgrade, as time goes by, 256gb may be out of space within 1-2 years time....

6. Geneo

Geneo Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    That's what OneDrive (or any of the other cloud drives), or the micro-SD slot is for.

As mennogreg said, like most things nowadays, it was never designed from the get go to to be 'user' upgradable. The iFixit people sound like ham-handed average joes just ripping into things (like they had a SP3 Repair Manual to consult), not professional repair technicians. Take their rating with a grain of salt. (They'd probably give most TV's the same score....)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  7. suprafly

suprafly New Member

My Device:
    None
    Waiting for the release date Aug 31th of SP3 core i7 512 ssd version to come out.

Attached Files:

8. TunaSurface

TunaSurface Active Member

This is the funniest thing I've seen, I felt it fit the topic.