What's new

Surface pro 3 screen scratched or cracked not to sure

Shuaib

Hi guys this is the first time I've posted but I've lurked around the forums from time to time for helpful tips and advice. Basically I need your guys help and analysis regarding what's happened to my surface pro 3.

I was on my surface pro 3 and then leave it for 10 minutes while I take a shower and come back to find it somehow gained the tiniest of scratches/crack not to sure on this. It still works the same as before but its really annoying and I can feel it when I write over it with the stylus but otherwise its barely noticeable.

I've attached some pictures and would really appreciate some advice on this guys.

Thank you for reading

Attachments

• WP_20141205_14_43_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141205_14_43_31_Pro.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 1,332
  • WP_20141205_14_43_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141205_14_43_25_Pro.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 1,427
  • WP_20141205_14_43_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141205_14_43_16_Pro.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 694

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a cat? are you within the initial return period and did you buy the warranty?
Id initiate a Support chat to see what they will do unless you're within convenient range of a Store.

OP
S

Shuaib

No I don't have a cat, its definitely happened without any fault of my own unless you count leaving it out for 10 minutes unattended as a mistake which is madness to me. I'm not within the initial return period as I bought it in August and I didn't buy the warranty which was my mistake but its because I'm normally really careful with electronics in all my years so far never had any problems with any electronics.

As I'm from the UK I had to initiate a support chat and the guy said he'd never seen anything like it before and that it maybe possible to do an exchange as I'm within the standard year warranty. But he said this is only possible if we determine if it's through no fault of the surfaces and that its my fault. He basically said if they determine it to be a scratch they may not exchange but if it's a crack then they probably would. So I'm not sure whether or not I should see if its possible to exchange but to be honest it works the same as before so I don't know if they would.

What's you thoughts on the photos though

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"What's you thoughts on the photos though"

My gut reaction was a scratch which is why i asked about the cat :) maybe a turtle??? Or a Rat... no mouse could do that. :D

I cant tell more from the photo, look at it with a magnifying glass... shine a light at different angles. A crack would show a shear surface like you'd see with broken glass.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm having trouble understanding how a crack or scratch would simply appear. Can't see any way that the surface would just be able to crack the screen itself, it doesn't get that hot!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you recently get engaged and was your fiancée in the room? perhaps checking if it was real? :rolleyes:

OP
S

Shuaib

This is why I'm shocked as well literally I used it just before I entered the shower and them put it in sleep mode while leaving it out for 10 minutes and then came back to it to find this small scratch/crack. While I've noticed the screen to heat up sometimes and it can be a bit hot to touch, at this particular time it was cool as I was hardly running anything

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why I'm shocked as well literally I used it just before I entered the shower and them put it in sleep mode while leaving it out for 10 minutes and then came back to it to find this small scratch/crack. While I've noticed the screen to heat up sometimes and it can be a bit hot to touch, at this particular time it was cool as I was hardly running anything
Yeah, and that is not the side that gets hot/warm.

OP
S

Shuaib

Oh yeah true so that rules that out definitely although I didn't think it was that in the first place, what else could it have been then?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possibly someone or something else entered the room... or random falling or flying object striking the screen but it would not be round or blunt.
We'll need surveillance footage :D

A crack may get larger over time while a scratch likely would not.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was the type cover attached? (and closed). Looks like a lot of white grit or something on the screen which if sandwiched between the screen and cover, could possibly cause a scratch if even bumped.